September Dive trip to Australia: Advice & recommendations appreciated!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GR8FUL

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be meeting up with my sister (who will already be there) in Sydney on September 7th for a 14 day stay.

Currently we plan on spending a few days in & around Sydney, then flying to Cairns and doing a 4 or 7 day liveaboard trip. We haven't booked a trip yet, but based upon posts both on this site & others, the consensus appears to be that SPIRIT OF FREEDOM or MIKE BALL are the best ships/operators to go with.

Any suggestions as to what else to see & do during such a short stay would be greatly appreciated. As far as the diving goes, we're both advanced divers & we'd like to experience a more "adventurous" dive trip--pelagics, etc.. Peronally I don't care too much about the size/conditions of the staterooms, but I'm sure my sister won't want to "rough" it aka TAKA. (Not truly roughing it I understand, but there are a fair amount of negative trip reports from people who booked trips on TAKA)

This trip is somewhat last minute (found great prices on airfare--Los Angeles to Sydney for $525/return!) so haven't done much research yet. Mostly concerned with what the dive conditions will be like in September . . . is that a good time of year for diving the GBR? Is Cairns the best place to book a trip out of? Any suggestions re: saving money on a liveaboard trip? Any discounts to be had due to economy, slow season, double booking, or ??

Hey Gr8ful. I think you're best bet is to head on one of the liveaboards that goes out to Osprey Reef. Thats where you get the pelagics. I think September-nov is the best time. I'm an aussie and have booked in sept for that reason.

Agree on SOF and have heard great reports on Mike Ball. Taka is ok, but yes there are some negatives. I did get bed bugs whilst on it - i wasn't too pleased. But i did have a great trip with them too. Having said that when booking they are my last preference. If you have a choice between SOF or Mike ball GBR or Taka heading to Osprey then do Taka. BAsically do whatever will get you out to osprey based on your diving wants. It is just beautiful. 1000 metre reef walls, deep blue everywhere else, viz around 40m.

In regards to discounts i'm not sure. To be honest i booked my sep trip a month ago and got the last berth on the boat. I wouldn't wait. In the last few months my favourite liveaboard The Undersea Explorer has stopped running. Leaving fewer options which is I think why they are so busy. Also SOF is booked for a charter for most of august - again people then move to sept. Anyway point is, i would look into it asap. Also suggest try calling Undersea Explorer, they are still running charters and very occassionally have spare spots. It is FANTASTIC. not as luxurious as the others (incl taka), but its just run so well.

Other things to do - Port douglas is absolutely beautiful, so is Cape Tribulation if you want to get into the rainforest. there's heaps to do up that way. Byron Bay in NSW also awesome.

You'll have fun!!

As MA says, better not to wait. All the boats mentioned above are good quality but, like everywhere, you get what you pay for.

You can compare the boats and their facilities here

Hope that helps.

OnTheSpot, that website helps a lot. I'm thinking about going on a liveaboard after the term ends Nov 22. I was looking at SOF (it has the best dates for my schedule) but now I'm not sure! They're all so similar but different. It doesn't help that I'm incredibly indecisive. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

SOF is fantastic. Really can't fault them. Magic diving to start with, great food, great service, fresh warm towels after every dive, even more delicious food. It is worth every cent. Great time to go too!!

oh and did i mention stop being indecisive and just book it!

For what it's worth, here's a shot of the Ocean Quest. :D

Attachments

• OQ.jpg
    OQ.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 72
MA:
oh and did i mention stop being indecisive and just book it!

Ha. I know. I need to do that before they get all booked up.
I probably should have added that I'm still waiting for an ok funding wise. :wink:

It's definitely looking like SOF though I hear the Ningaloo reef is good too? I'm just incredibly bummed that I got here AFTER whale shark season. Story of my life.

Here is a vote for Mike Ball and the Spoilsport. We had a spectacular time with them. Staff could not be improved upon and the cook, this guy is very serious about his craft/art. I honestly can't think of anything negative about the trip. All superlatives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom