Start Class Jan 11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattymatt

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I are going to be taking the basic open water class starting next month. We both enjoy snorkeling and hope scuba can be the next step for us. As far as equipment goes, I know that we both need to purchase masks, snorkel and fins for the class. At what point should we purchase things such as wetsuits, BCDs, regulators, etc? Should we wait till we have a certain number of dives and just rent equipment for a whilte after obtaining certification?

Thanks,
Matthew

:wave:Welcome to the Scuba Board. :hi: Fun place to hang out, compare, argue, etc. :thumb:

For best results, ensure that you have "Use 'Email Notify' by default" under your Options marked "YES" and :type: add Scuba Board to your computer's Favorites List so you can check in easily and often.

I owned "a" mask, snorkel, and fins when I started Scuba classes, so I used them and what the instructor supplied for the training and OW check-out dives.

After that, I rented the same gear I trained in for one trip for easy newbie diving at Key Largo, then - feeling that I was committed enough to spend a couple of thousand dollars, met with a LDS about my future needs. Your choice of suits will depend on where you want to dive, and much of the other gear will, as well.

don

Welcome to the board Matthew,

I'd personally recommend that you use the shops scuba gear for your Open Water course. You will likely have to purchase your own mask, snorkel, and fins for the course though. There are a few reasons why I'd wait till after your Open Water course before you buy a bcd, reg, tanks, or any other scuba gear:

1) After the course, you will have an idea of what to look for in equipment.
2) After the course, you will know whether or not you like certain gear.
3) After the course, you will have heard your instructors sales pitch about certain gear. One thing to watch for is what gear your instructor uses.... there's gotta be a reason why right? Not all instructors dive the same gear their shop sells, and if the instructor is wearing something other than what his/her shop sells, ask 'em why!

Another reason to wait is to make sure that you like the sport and if you're going to do it regularly. If you're only going to dive once a year when you're on holiday it'd probably be cheaper in the long run to rent the gear.

If you quickly become addicted to scuba, like so many before you, then you'll probably start buying the gear fairly soon and keep being tempted to buy 'just one more thing' every time you enter your local dive store.

If you fall somewhere in between the two extremes then take your time and work out what you want, what feels right for you, what fits best and even what looks right for you ( there are more divers that consciously coordinated their gear than you'd think :) ) Renting gear for a while is a good way to try different gear from different shops without buying it first. And if you still find that you're not sure what to get talk to local shops, other divers and people on the scubaboard (there's a lot of good stuff in the postings here).

Good luck and have a great time on the course

I too just signed up for classes, and was debating about gear purchases. Like you, I am into snorkeling, and 2 of my really close friends are DM's and 2 others are former commercial divers, so i have been able to get lots of info and insight.

BUT, alas the body is weak!:( i couldn't control myself! I ended up going out and buying pretty much all my gear (except tanks & weights) However, i did consult my friends, and I made sure i bought gear that would allow some growing room in my skills. Here's what I ended up with: and anyone experienced feel free to comment on my choices

Genesis Recon 75 BCD
Gen 2000 reg and Octo
Oceanic Versa Pro computer w/ compass (Nitrox or air)
IST 6.5mm 2-pc suit (pacific NW)
Tusa Imprex fins
UK Fantom 4 pak light kit
& lots of other odds and ends

It may not have been the smartest thing, but I think I made good choices, and I know myself pretty well. Short of some medical issue I know I will love it. So my point is, if you too can't wait- don't feel bad! You're not alone!!

I tell my students to buy as soon as they are done with their OW course. I also tell them to join the local dive club right away and plan a dive trip asap. Statistics show that divers that own their gear are more likely to stay diving. I know it is a big investment, but scuba gear last for years.
And by the way, I am not affiliated with any dive shop so I have nothing to gain by giving my students this advise.
Good Diving!

I agree with divetyme. i am not an instructor but feel that the people that own teir gear are more likely to dive more. I know i would consider it a pain if i did not own my own gear. Also, you know what you are working with after a couple of dives on your stuff instead of switching every time you have to rent something. This way you can standardize your equiupment to meet your needs,, J.D.

Having your own gear means you'll be more inclined to dive local.. be it dropping the cash for boat dives or driving to shore sites and slipping in the water with dive buddies. It gives you the freedom to dive when you want and not have to worry about getting it back to the store by X-time, and it lets you customize how you want to dive somewhat. Granted, that will probably be an evolutionary process as you dive different places and do different things.

I suggest wait until after the class, that way you and your learning buddies are all on the same page with gear. If your shop has different models of stuff in their rental dept, ask about trying different rigs at different times. If not during the class, rent for some open water dives. Ask what they use and why? You've also hit a huge forum for diving related issues here - do a search on hardware you have questions about.. if something specific hasn't been mentioned yet, post it, someone here has bound to have experience with it. :)

Local dive clubs are cool if they dive regularly. Scuba Board has us regionalized as well, and from my own experience, diving regular with SB memebers is not an issue! Infact, you almost have to go out of your way, not to find a regular local dive(s) with people showing up. :)

Welcome aboard!

I'm with everyone else. Wait until after the class. Take a few more dives. See what you like/don't like. Ask around about particular equipment, read reviews, do your research and then buy. I personally think a wetsuit is the best first purchase because it pays for itself in so few dives, others think the regulator is the most important thing to own because it's the most important life support gear you've got and you want to know how it's been maintained.

If you asked most divers on this board, (and they were honest), most would admit to having a closet full of items that 'seemed like a good idea at the time'. Most of us have purchased the wrong thing, thinking it was the right thing, only to find that we actually needed/wanted a different thing. Since the things are so expensive to begin with, you are strongly encouraged to wait a bit, try different things (renting or borrowing), and inquire rigorously on ScubaBoard prior to dropping large amounts of cash on various things. There is nothing so encouraging as learning lessons using OPM - Other People's Money.

FWIW.

Back
Top Bottom