Aqualung Calypso J

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paladin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Could anyone tell me if an Aqualung Calypso J can handle the 3000 psi from an aluminum 80?

Last edited:
What's a Calypso J? Single- or two-hose? What's the pressure rating stamped on the yoke?
The Aqualung Calypsos I know about are single-hose two-stage regs, but I'm not familiar with the J. Or maybe I am and just don't know it...

The Calypso J is a Calypso regulator with a J valve (reserve) built into it. I don't know what, if anything, is stamped on the yoke. I found this for sale online at an estate sale and the seller knows nothing about it. I want to know a bit about it before I buy.

It should be fine (had one of them a long time ago).. it was made when 3,000 psi aluminum tanks were the most common tank.

Wonder if you can get all the parts for it today? Interesting.

Thanks, Puffer.

Below are diagrams for the Calypso J and the Calypso III.

This line of Calypso regulator came out in the 70’s. The early ones (Calypso III type) had the tire wheel as shown in the diagram. Those will handle 3000 psi, but the yoke was not as heavy as the later ones (Calypso IV) with the big knob yoke similar to many modern yoke knobs. The Calypso III came out when most tanks were 2475 psi (2250 + 10%).

This line of Calypso regulators used a balanced flow through piston design. The HP seat for them is not available and NOS are becoming hard to find. It is sometimes possible to resurface the original seat.

This were very good regulators, but wit the lack of replacement seats they will eventually become hard to service.

You can get the repair manual for the earlier Calypso J and all US Divers regulators (pre1971) under this link:
U.S. Divers Repair Manual on CD [USD Manual on CD] - $10.00 : Vintage Double Hose!, Your online source for all things related to vintage diving

Aqua-LungRepairManualpage32.jpg

Here is the same first stage without the reserve valve mechanism. The reserve could be added.

Aqua-LungRepairManualpage51.jpg

Luis, Thanks for bringing back memories. I got mine somewhere around 73.

Sadly, the seat (at least from the picture) does not look like something one could fabricate easily

Many small seats can be made by getting a sheet of seat material and using a hole punch of the correct size to cut it out...but this one looks fairly thick, with layers.

Wish I remembered what it looked like ... darn - some more information gone forever.

I got it right around the time we (our dive club in Panama) put in a 3,000 psi compressor and got 3,000 psi Al tanks

Seems like I remember Sonanda was working on replacement seats, might want to check with him...although I suspect he will show up here.

I have been using the Calypso VI for about 30 years now, and I have been flipping the HP seat over every year. For some reason, the material gets flat inside the seat after so many dives (2 a week in Florida) and is ready to be flipped for another year, by then , the marks from the piston, are all gone.

1+ for what has already been said.

The Calypso J was my first reg, back in 1976. I remember mine having a more conventional yoke knob I believe (looked like modern ones, as on the Conshelf). It would handle 3,000 lbs. It was a nice reg... sadly lost during a move when I was in college, sigh.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom