Dive computer/depth gauge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrshawt

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I didn't think it would happen, but I got my own gear this summer! I got some used gear off craigslist for a very decent price. I am happy with it so far for a starter set.

However, it came with a console mounted electronic depth gauge/thermometer/bottom timer. And the battery is dead. Only it's not as simple as replacing the battery. Since it's an older model, I was told by my LDS that it needs to be replaced.

So here are my options:
get a plain old analog depth gauge for $75 (what a ripoff IMO)
get a Gekko wrist mounted computer (no PC hookup) for 250
get a console mounted computer (PC hookup) for 320

Now, I don't really plan on using the PC for dive logs, but it's nice to have. I would also prefer the console mount since I already have a space for it.

Any ideas?

Personally, I would strongly recommend going with a wrist-mounted computer. It is much more convenient than a console computer (if you do a little peeking around the forum on computer recommendations or the "What did you buy that you regret" thread, you'll see the majority of people prefer the wrist-mounted computer).

That said, why are those three options above your only options? Have you considered anything else? Are you willing to give the used market a try again? If so, check out the used gear forum (here) and you may be able to find a very good deal.

What kind of diving do you plan to do in the future? Are you planning to get nitrox certified? If so, you will probably want a computer that does both air and nitrox in the computer mode. Are you planning to go the tech route? If so, you'll want a computer that does gauge mode, or just a simple bottom timer / depth gauge.

You can read about the options that you have....some are neat and some are simply not worth it. Personally, I don't like air integrated computers - it's much more expensive and really not worth it since checking an SPG is not at all inconvenient (nor is it likely to be unreliable, as some AI, wireless computers may be). Downloading dives to your PC might be nice, but I just don't do it, so it's not a feature I need.

Best of luck figuring out what you want to do with the computer....I'm excited for you that you've got your own equipment and will be able to dive more! Have fun!! :D

Personally, I would strongly recommend going with a wrist-mounted computer. It is much more convenient than a console computer (if you do a little peeking around the forum on computer recommendations or the "What did you buy that you regret" thread, you'll see the majority of people prefer the wrist-mounted computer).
Personally, I don't like air integrated computers - it's much more expensive and really not worth it since checking an SPG is not at all inconvenient (nor is it likely to be unreliable, as some AI, wireless computers may be). Downloading dives to your PC might be nice, but I just don't do it, so it's not a feature I need.

Agree. I went with the wrist mount, Suunto Gekko and I really like it.:burnout:

A sort of decision tree for you:
a) Wrist or console?
b) AIr integrated or not?
c) Nitrox or mixed gas or air only?
d) PC sync or not?
e) Budget?
f) Other desired features? (For example: user changeable battery, display style, conservatism, bubble model, user adjustments, alarms, digital or integrated compass, etc.)

Welcome to scubaboard by the way...

Wrist mount works great, unless you do lobstering.. in which case, I would strongly recommend against that...(I have both and use wrist mount for photo dives).

I down load because it makes a great and quick log of my dives...and I like to see how well I managed things (mine has a sliding accent rate limit as you go up, so not having an alarm takes some practice... seeing your mistakes is nice).

I know a lot of people that use the Gekko, and have not heard a bad thing about it.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I plan on doing mostly rec diving for the next couple of years at least. I just need a real basic comp. Nitrox isn't hugely important to me as of yet. I like the PC hookup in the way that you can really see more technical details about your dives.

Oh, and those aren't my only options. Those were given to me by the LDS. I knew the Gekko was a good comp from the get go (kind of wish it had PC hookup now haha) and I wanted to see what other options there would be.

Thanks for the tip with the classifieds. I'm all about saving a couple bucks by buying used. It's still good gear, after all.

What will go on my console now...? :( It will have an empty space haha.

Are you comfortable using tables? If so, a standard depth gauge and wrist watch (with rotating bezel) is all you really need. Of course, remembering to rotate the bezel at the start of the dive is a consideration. It turns out the digital depth gauge/timer costs about the same as a computer.

If you don't want to dive square profiles then I don't see how you can get around using a computer.

There is a movement to have just the SPG on the console with the computer on one wrist and the compass on the other. The idea is that you can clip the SPG to a D ring and view it without actually unclipping it.

The 3 adults in our herd have wrist mounted computers and compass mounting varies (wrist or D ring mounted retractor). But we all have a simple SPG on a D ring. My grandson has a console with an SPG and a VEO 100 computer. Like this:

Oceanic Veo 100NX "Nitrox" Dive Computer Combo

His compass is also wrist mounted.

The problem with buying a computer that doesn't do Nitrox is that it NEVER will. If you think there is any chance in the world you will want the extended bottom time or reduced nitrogen loading of Nitrox, don't shortchange the computer. You will be back to buy another one!

I made a lot of dives without a computer. The only reason I bought one is that Nitrox adds another thing to consider: total oxygen loading. You need to accumulate oxygen exposure over an entire day of diving. That's just too much effort.

Richard

Personally I would go wrist-mount ... I like the display and ease of use of the Cressi Archimede II ... plus you can find great deals on it sometimes.

Of course the DiveRite Nitek Duo family is always a good option as well.

mrshawt

Make sure the Computer is Nitrox capable
Make sure the numbers are big enough for you to easily read in compromised light and visibility with your mask, especially if you use a prescription.
Skip air integration. All the integration you need is between your ears.
Get one that you can download from. I do my log in Excel but the download is still nice to gather data. it's also fun to relive your dive while gazing at the profiles.
Mount it where you want. here on the board you hear a lot about wrist and that's all fine and good. I'm console mounted and it's very common in my neck of the woods FWIW. Consider getting one that can do into several mount formats in case you change your mind latter.
Many console mounted computers require their own console boot to accommodate the download port and a side button. Recycling your SPG and compass is entirely possible if you match the types.
Oh yea... User replaceable battery

Pete

So far, I have successfully replaced the battery on two of those bottom timer gadgets, they are a lot more user-servicable than the dive shops claim. I use it as a back-up for my wrist-mounted computer, though...

Back
Top Bottom