Cuban Cigars on Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pconsidine007

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all,

I am planning a trip to Cozumel in November (leaving Thanksgiving). Does anyone know if there is a reputable cigar shop where you can get Cuban Cigars on the Island? I'd like to buy a box while I'm there.

Thanks for the feedback!

...although my last trip was '06, on all my trips there, the town was busy/full......you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a cigar shop, and the sales people were rather aggressive....I'm not the touristy-shopper type as is, so I was very uncomfortable running-the-gauntlet through all the shopping areas.....and this was BEFORE the world-wide economic crisis hit Coz (and 3 of my 4 trips were also before the hurricanes of '05 hit) so I can't even conceive of how desperate those same cigar (and other shops) are now...and how extra pushy they've undoubtedly become....so I have no doubt you won't have any trouble finding cigars.......I don't smoke, so I have no idea how to find a 'reputable' one.....I think it's illegal to bring them into the US anyway.

You shouldn't have any trouble finding Cuban cigars but there might also be some cheaper non cuban cigars being sold as cuban. Im not a big cigar fan so I can't tell you where to buy them but personally I would never buy anything on the main touristy strip there. Walk two blocks east and you won't see a single gringo. Not sure if there is much of a non tourist market for them there but anything you find off that strip will be significantly cheaper.

As far as legality it is actually against US law for an american to even buy Cuban products for use while outside of the country. Of course there is no one there to stop you. When coming back from Mexico if your bag gets searched by customs they will confiscate them if they still have the cuban bands and/or box. I have never had my bag searched by customs while coming back, but it does happen from time to time.

~Jess

Thanks for the feedback...

Through my experience traveling in Central America and the Caribbean, Cigars are usually pretty easy to get, but they are often not handled/stored properly and thus are often bad to smoke. I was hoping that someone might point me in the direction of a specific store, as I'm not an experienced smoker and would have a difficult time identifying properly handed cigars without actually smoking it.

Your correct in saying that it is illegal to bring Cuban's back to the states. I was looking to score a nice box for smoking while I'm down there.

Appreciate your thoughts scubafanatic.

You shouldn't have any trouble finding Cuban cigars but there might also be some cheaper non cuban cigars being sold as cuban. Im not a big cigar fan so I can't tell you where to buy them but personally I would never buy anything on the main touristy strip there. Walk two blocks east and you won't see a single gringo. Not sure if there is much of a non tourist market for them there but anything you find off that strip will be significantly cheaper.

As far as legality it is actually against US law for an american to even buy Cuban products for use while outside of the country. Of course there is no one there to stop you. When coming back from Mexico if your bag gets searched by customs they will confiscate them if they still have the cuban bands and/or box. I have never had my bag searched by customs while coming back, but it does happen from time to time.

~Jess

Two blocks just puts you on 10, you're still deep in the heart of tourist-ville. However, I don't think you'll find any cuban cigars outside of shops that are at least somewhat tourist-oriented. There's just not that big of a market for them for locals. Some, yes; a lot, no.

Thanks Jess, appreciate your thoughts regarding the no gringo/cheaper prices, when you meander off the main drag...

Hopefully, someone knows of a reputable place that sells smokes on Coz.

Keep in mind that Cuban cigars are one of the most faked items in the world. Don't count on the "cubans" you buy to be authentic, no matter what label is on them. True cubans are going to be expensive, no matter where you buy them (outside of cuba).

I bought "cuban" cigars in Iraq all the time. Labels are perfect, but there's no way they are real cubans.

When I was in Cozumel the best cigars/best price of cubans that I could find were in the airport!!! I was surprised to see this, but I was ripped off twice while shopping downtown and then on my way home, there they were, so I bought two 5 packs, never was searched by customs and was knocked out by them!!! If you can't wait for the airport, don't buy anything unless the cigars are in a humidor, the room size type.
Mike

As hard as it is for me to say this, the "best" "Cuban" cigar I ever bought on CZM (as a cigar smoker, I'm more into the Nicaraugan's) was from the men's room at Carlos and Charlies. I know it wasn't a Cuban Cohiba, although that is how it was labeled, but it was fresh, the moisture and pliability were acceptable, and the price, in relativity, was appropriate.

Was it a real Cuban Cohiba, yeah, just about as real as my being President of the United States.

And don't even plan on bringing even a fake one back. I'm not sure our INS folks really care whether it's a fake or not.

Cheers!

There are no REAL Cuban cigars in Coz. Everyone my husband purchased were all bootlegged, and not very good. We are bringing some in this year, NOT cubans though.

Back
Top Bottom