Spearfishing with Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ant01

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am interested to know do most of the underwater hunters in this forum use Scuba or freedive

I am also a fanatical spearo and have speared competitively in my day. Here is South Africa and most parts of the world it is very regulated when spearfishing with Scuba. When I travelled the states I was amazed that in florida most people speared and caught lobster (crayfish) with scuba. It seems that it is different on the other side (california)

To me the real thrill is freediving and the challenge of the hunt whilst giving the fish a fighting chance.

Guess it depends on the depth...most I know SCUBA for lobster and either or for spearo

I have done some spearfishing in FL while diving (scuba).

I know that lobstering is legal on scuba in both FL, and CA. Spearfishing is legal on scuba in FL, not sure about CA.

Honestly, hunting with Scuba does not seem like much of a huge fish drain to me. We may catch 2~3 fish a day or less on scuba. I can do that in an hour on a fishing boat, and there are a LOT more fishing boats out and about vs. scuba. If you have ANY doubt of that fact, just visit any commercial dock, and take a look at the ratio of dive to fishing boats, assuming they HAVE any dive boats. :D

depends on conditions, less than about 30' and I can see reasonably well, I'll freedive. I actually prefer not having all the scuba gear on if it isn't necessary. If vis isn't the best or diving deeper, I have no problems putting on scuba gear and spearing. Dunno about the rest of you but I'm never going to be freediving 100'+ :)

free dive

Both.

Freedive shallow less than 45ft and bluewater species; scuba 45ft to 140ft. Lobstering in the keys freediving; lobstering on east coast of Florida or NC or Middle Grounds, I scuba.

I believe scuba bubbles give the fish more of "a fighting chance". (maybe not hogfish or AJs). Fish are easier to shoot freediving.

Also remember, in the US, I believe the research says around 1% of recreational catch is taken with spearfishing (scuba and freediving).

Back
Top Bottom