Tulamben and Nusa Penida diving - where to stay, which dive shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I stayed 1 week in Tauch Terminal Tulamben.
They offer u free Nitrox for every dive.
It's a very nice place, and the location is very close to the Wreck. u can just walk around 1 minute to reach the wreck :)
I'm going back there this september

Thanks - I was looking at them too, property looks nice. Unfortunately I'm not certified for Nitrox yet, but have been considering it.

I've stayed at Tauch Terminal twice (2002 and 2003) and do recommend it. I liked the accommodations and the food was decent. When I checked earlier this year, they'd gotten a bit pricy, so if money is a big issue, Tulamben Wreck Divers might be a better choice.

I recommend that you do the dives with a guide simply because they tend to know where the critters are - both on the wreck and at Coral Gardens.

Tauch Terminal offers daytrips for those who wish to dive Nusa Penida for mola-molas. Only drawback is that you will pay a little more and you will only get two tanks.

If you go for the unlimited dives package, (perhaps because you might be planning to do 4 or more dives a day), you will want to get nitrox certified to get the most bottom time.

Have fun.

I've stayed at Tauch Terminal twice (2002 and 2003) and do recommend it. I liked the accommodations and the food was decent. When I checked earlier this year, they'd gotten a bit pricy, so if money is a big issue, Tulamben Wreck Divers might be a better choice.

I recommend that you do the dives with a guide simply because they tend to know where the critters are - both on the wreck and at Coral Gardens.

Tauch Terminal offers daytrips for those who wish to dive Nusa Penida for mola-molas. Only drawback is that you will pay a little more and you will only get two tanks.

If you go for the unlimited dives package, (perhaps because you might be planning to do 4 or more dives a day), you will want to get nitrox certified to get the most bottom time.

Have fun.
Hi Sam,

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely do the dives with a guide, and will probably dive Nusa Penida when I'm in South Bali where it's closer. Not sure if I have time to do the Nitrox course though. I only have Open Water Certification, do I need any other prerequisite to do the Nitrox? How long does it take to be certified for Nitrox?

Thanks again!

Open Water Certification is all I needed to get Nitrox certified.

I did mine many years ago while on a liveaboard - the book stuff was covered over the course of 2 days. I'm not an instructor, so I'm just shooting from the hip here, but from my standpoint, the only really practical (as in non-book) part of the course is to learn how to analyze the air in your tank and then record it, and that will take all of 3 minutes, at most. From a diving standpoint, it is no different in terms of your needing to acquire any new underwater skills - othe rthan to remember to set your dive computer to the proper oxygen level.

Which leads to this next suggestion. If you do decide on getting nitrox certified, having a nitrox capable dive computer helps you to capitalize on that bottom time gain. If you just use a regular air computer, you will be safer because you will be absorbing less nittrogen, but you will not gain bottom time because your air computer will still calculate your residual nitrogen based on a 21% oxygen mix (ie, regular air).

If you've never been to Tulamben the one thing that you must know about the shore entries is that the beach is not a sandy beach, except for a small stretch at the eastern end, where you enter to do the wall dive. So unless things have changed dramatically since my last trip there, the rest of the beach is strewn with boulders anywhere from pebble-size to basketball size and on up. These boulders extend 15-30 ft. into the water, so having a good pair of booties or Tevas helps - especially when you walk out to the Liberty Wreck entry point.

Good luck.

Thanks Sam,

I actually do have a Oceanic Atom 1.0 computer which is capable of Nitrox, I'll see if I have time to do the Nitrox course before the vacation, as I'm not sure if I want to be studying during the limited time I have in Bali - have always wanted to extend my bottom time, and it certainly sounds like the next logical step.

I did see some pictures of the "beach" at Tulamben, so I do have good booties prepared, thanks for all the great info, it's been very helpful! I checked the reviews on Tripadvisor and decided to go with Tulamben Wreck Divers for now, as the reviews sounded pretty good and they seem to be good value and their lodgings are new. Will probably choose to dive Nusa Penida with another dive shop further south in Bali. I also decided to just bring my own equipment, with the exceptions of fins, as they would take up too much space in my luggage and I figured I could make do with whatever fins they have.

Thanks again!

Another 2 votes for Tulamben Wreck Divers from us!
Their equipment are OK but definately not new... I remember Tony (the "boss" of TWD) telling me that they use US Divers, if u have concerns, email to him & see if he can help to reserve a "newer" set for you, especially if it is during off-peak season... No worries abt the shore-dive, the guides are there to make sure we don't fall flat on our faces. ;-) Have fun!
Please Say Hi! to Tony, the 2 Ketuts (1 guide, the other "boss") & Nyoman for us! (CaT & Terence)... Feel free to PM me if u need more info abt TWD...

Hi Mtnpool.

if getting in early is what you want to do at the wreck then Tulamben Wreck Divers is the best place to stay, right on the wreck and ideally located with restaurants etc a mere 10 meters from its front door!

As far as Nusa Penida goes, if you would like to check out our website at Diving Bali | Dive Courses Bali im sure you will find all the information that you will need regarding a few days fun diving! The diving in Penida has been amazing in the past week and we hope it continues well for the next few months!

If you have any other questions, please dont hesitate to mail us at info@baliocean.com or media@baliocean.com

Regards

BSB

Back
Top Bottom