Computer shopping? (HATE my oceanic). AI wireless?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

telemonster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay,

The only "official" dive computer I've owned is an Oceanic Versa2. I hate it. I bought the download cable, the software is horrid. The user interface is lame on the actual unit.

I normally also wear my Citizen Hyper-aqualand watch which has an air-only dive computer built in. It's an older model I picked up off ebay. I LOVE IT. Simple numbers, on my wrist, great screen, fairly small. I forget about the oceanic normally, until I try to download the data (I have the cradle for the Citizen, but can't find it. I stored it away somewhere).

So I was eyeballing the Sunnto AI wireless things, because I'd love to get rid of my SPG/console and go to a computer that is on the wrist. Less junk, more streamlined, all that. But I'm not going to pay $900 for the D9. I read the battery can't be replaced by the user, not cool, and read that users seemed mediocre happy with them. Pre-dive comm sync, etc.

Any suggestions of what is a good AI wireless dive computer? I don't want anything Oceanic, software is painful and I don't like the UI. What about Cochran's later products? Any others that people like? I do need Nitrox capability. I'm likely to buy used.

(rant on)
I *LIKE* the Galileo Sol! I'd buy it for $500 (with transducer). Lots of other people would too, I bet. I was like, HEY LOOK, It's a dive computer that doesn't look like it's 10 year old technology! It only looks like it's about 6 years behind. Too bad it's marked up 600%!!! Outside of the $2000 (in price not parts) things like the Sol, the industry is creeking along at snails pace here folks. And overcharging along the way!
(rant off)

Last edited:
mmmm... Pretty much agree with you regarding price of dive electronics.

I have the Suunto Vytec DS. I absolutely love wireless. The sync prior to dive does not end up being a big deal. You have to open your tank valve anyway, just have your wrist in proximity while you do it!. My opinion is that dive computers are very personal in that we each want a different combination of ease of use, visibility of display as it relates to your individual vision, what info is displayed and how it is organized on the screen, functionality of pc software, algorithm conservatism, # of gas mixes supported... You get the picture. Figure out what you want (you might start with what you do not like about your current computer), prioritize your want list, and start comparing.

I tend to agree that dive computers are lagging on the technology side and they are overpriced, but that doesn't change the price.

If you didn't have such issues with Oceanic, I would suggest you look at an Oceanic VT3 or Aeris T3 Elite. I have not had any issues with their recent software.

I have not looked at Cochran for some time. It sounds like you would like the Mares Icon HD, Liquivision X1 or Uemis SDA, but all of these are far more money than you wnt to spend and are new enough that you won't be finding any cheap used ones soon. Some are not AI, either.

Perhaps a Scubapro prior to the Sol/Luna?

If you want the most recent technology in dive computers and a wrist mounted AI computer, it'll cost you more than you want to spend and there are a limited number of brands and models. if we exclude Suunto and oceanic/Aeris immediately, ythe options are fairly few.. Again, I'm not saying they aren't overpriced, but that's just how it is.

I love my Uwatec, sorry that the Sol is so expensive. I ditched my Oceanic AI because after a great trip my arm was tired from diving with it over my shoulder constantly trying to re-establish the link.

Half of the time I don't lose link after I remove my rig on the boat, at least not until I walk away.

You can still get a Smart Z out there for $500-$600. If you're not diving with a deco bottle it is all you need. If you need the multiple gas, figure another $100 or so for the Smart Tec.

I love my Uwatec, sorry that the Sol is so expensive. I ditched my Oceanic AI because after a great trip my arm was tired from diving with it over my shoulder constantly trying to re-establish the link.

That is odd, in my family of three divers using Aeris T3 and Oceanic Atom 2.0 computers, that has never been a problem unless a battery is quite low, which rarely happens.

Which model of Oceanic computer were you using?

Yes, the pricing seems higher than one might expect, but it is a matter of supply and demand. If there were a significantly larger market (many more divers than now), greater competition and economy of scale would drive down prices.

Okay,

(rant on)
I *LIKE* the Galileo Sol! I'd buy it for $500 (with transducer). Lots of other people would too, I bet. I was like, HEY LOOK, It's a dive computer that doesn't look like it's 10 year old technology! It only looks like it's about 6 years behind. Too bad it's marked up 600%!!! Outside of the $2000 (in price not parts) things like the Sol, the industry is creeking along at snails pace here folks. And overcharging along the way!
(rant off)

Hi telemonster
Why don't you have a look at our new product uemis?
It is an investment in the future. It is the latest technology. And it is upgradable.
But please form your own opinion.
And if you have any questions please do not hesitate to conact me.
Regards Brendianer

Lovely looking computer... how it actually works.. would be nice to know...

Back
Top Bottom