Dive computer recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You mean to say you actually like the audio alarms on dive computers. They drive me insane and then dive with a group and have 2 or 3 go off at once and its enough to make me start cutting peoples hoses off. Of course you can adjust when and how those alarms fire but straight from the factory they tend to be set to go off for everything. I like diving cause its quite, thats part of the reason I want to go CCR, so why go adding things like alarms (or UW communication) to it.

Just my $.02

NorthWoodsDiver, I agree that excessive alarms are a real PITA, both for the user and the other dives in the group/area. It took me about 15 dives to get mine just right.

A word or warning though, when you start cutting hoses, those computers Really Start Shouting!!!! :wink:

Alarms were sounding when two guys I no longer dive with went way too deep on nitrox 36. Beep-beep-beep, they were screwing up again. You hear that a few times and realize some folks are an accident waiting to happen.

The computer alarm was like quality control, and that duo got rejected.

Thanks all for the input!

After reading about all the recommended dive computers it looks like the Suunto Vytec DS offers the best bang for the buck. If no one has any more recommendations or reservations this looks like the one.

Thanks.

Have you looked at the Uwatec Smart Tec? It's full of features and less expensive than their other models. It'll cost a little more than the Suunto you're looking at but has a lot more features.

I prefer a Explorer M made by HydroSpace Engineering. It has selectable gas mixes with almost any combination of N, He, or O2. This is arguably the most versatile computer out there; utilizing O2 mixtures from 5 to 99 percent. I suppose it depends on the size of your pocket book and the scope of your diving experience.

I too am having a difficult time deciding on a wrist-mount dive computer. Trying to stay in the $300 range. I am looking at the following:

* Suunto Gekko - $225
* Suunto Vyper - $299
* Oceanic Veo 180 - $225
* Oceanic Veo 250 - $275

It is very confusing, because I keep hearing good things and bad things about each. All four have the ability to download dive data to pc (Gekko with a hack). I hear the Suuntos are a bit more conservative, which might not be a bad thing for me. Oceanic states that their batteries are diver-replaceable. Whereas, Suunto states you must have the battery replaced by a trained technician. Tough decision.

Miker625: Of the computers you mentioned, I believe the Vytec is the one I'd buy. It has the greatest versatility with O2 ranges between 21 and 99 percent.

I use the Sherwood Wisdom 2, it is a console type DC, but with all the settings and large display there is no mistaking digits or what your DC is telling you to do. It is also one of the better liberal DC's out there.

As mentioned by a post some where up above, for those with hard hearing underwater, which I am one of those. You have the first vibrating alert DC which is the Tusa IQ-800.

If you prefer a more liberal DC, be careful of the Suunto, they use the RGBM which is definitely a lot more conservative then most DC's.

I have the same problem, I am looking for a redundant DC right now. But I need something that will be tech friendly in the next year. And to make things worst, I maybe going CCR. So I am really in a tight jam with all these DC's. If I wasent going tech or CCR, I think I would go with the Scubapro/Uwatec Galileo Luna. I think its the most bang for the buck. If you don't have a budget, and really don't mind spending the big bucks and its for recreational only I would look at the Oceanic OC-1.

There goes my .02 cents! Good Luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom