Dive computer recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Miker625: Of the computers you mentioned, I believe the Vytec is the one I'd buy. It has the greatest versatility with O2 ranges between 21 and 99 percent.

LOL. I actually didn't mention the Vytec. ;-) I would love the Vytec, but it is over $600 without the transmitter. Over $750 with the transmitter. I am trying to stay in the $300 or less range. Thanks though. :D

Sorry Miker625, I misread your post, but the extra $300 may be worth it... Stay wet! :)

LOL. I actually didn't mention the Vytec. ;-) I would love the Vytec, but it is over $600 without the transmitter. Over $750 with the transmitter. I am trying to stay in the $300 or less range. Thanks though. :D

Dam sorry I missed the under $300.00 range.

My brother uses the Oceanic Veo watches, and swears by them. Goodluck!

I am looking at possibly purchasing a Suunto D4 or D6. I am a newbie new.

i have a d4 and it works perfect for me. the only drawback for me is its lack of gas switching during a dive, which the d6 has.
i find the d4 looks sturdier than the d6 also.
but if you intend on getting a d6 or d9 be sure to check its serial number, as many older d6's and d9's have faulty software (which you can have upgraded gor free i believe, bit is a PITA)

so if your just an OW or AOW and have no plans of using different gases for staged decos id suggest getting the d4

my 2 psi

I will be getting into tec and want to buy a computer that will be capable when I do. Rather than spend a few hundred dollars now and then spend even more later I want to make sure I get one that has the capabilities. Someone had mentioned the Uwatec Smart Tec but I think that's a much older model.

For getting into tec I think the best choices out there are the Sunnto Vytec DS or the Diverite Nitek Trio. The Galileo Sol is about twice as much as the Sunnto. The Galileo Luna is only about $150 more than the Sunnto but since I haven't had any tec training I don't know if it has any advantages over the Sunto Vytec DS. Perhaps someone here who does tec diving can make the call.

Last edited:
I will be getting into tec and want to buy a computer that will be capable when I do. Rather than spend a few hundred dollars now and then spend even more later I want to make sure I get one that has the capabilities. Someone had mentioned the Uwatec Smart Tec but I think that's a much older model.

For getting into tec I think the best choices out there are the Sunnto Vytec DS or the Diverite Smart Tek. The Galileo Sol is about twice as much as the Sunnto. The Galileo Luna is only about $150 more than the Sunnto but since I haven't had any tec training I don't know if it has any advantages over the Sunto Vytec DS. Perhaps someone here who does tec diving can make the call.

im not a tec diver but have a few tec diver friends
they all use charts, dive plans and a bottom timer for all their tec dives.
maybe better to ask around if a dc is really needed in tec. they gave me the impression that they dont .

In my dive planning phase, I check everything utilizing the tables and compare my mixture consumption, dive duration/heat loss with previously completed and known values (previously logged, comparing similar conditions, effort and temperature). This provides me with a reasonable degree of foresight, but once the fins hit the water, a new page is turned. I also tend to be overly conservative. The computer provides me with a updated status, but it can only make a reasonable projection based on minute-to-minute exposure. Like every prudent diver, I try to plan for the worst and hope for the best... :)

Back
Top Bottom