Can You 'Really' Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ME. I believe it's because of me. Too much of a coincidence for it not to be.:depressed:

Even if it is you, and you are new to diving... a new diver is not expected to know all of the in's & out's & proper etiquette of boat diving. A "GOOD" DM will be/should be helpful in that area so that you can become more experienced.

I like diving with new divers.

Your kind of diver are far and few in between. Seems like "experience" divers have forgotten what it was like when they were "new" divers.
If the shoe fits, wear it.

Your kind of diver are far and few in between. Seems like "experience" divers have forgotten what it was like when they were "new" divers.

Rachel,

I would dive with you anytime - but as you know from my recent thread I am out of diving for a little while awaiting the birth of my daughter next week

Sean

Personally I think that these requests are a bit much as everyone needs to start somewhere... and not everyone is in the best physical shape either.

I would like to point out the fact that honesty and open communication is the real issue here. Being a buddy / a part of a buddy system is a mutual agreement. Both parties agree that they can enter the water, dive and exit the water safely.

If you cannot be a buddy to someone who you consider can't "really" dive, then its important to talk to those people before buddy pairing with them.

For me, yes according to your description I clamor over rocks and ankle breakers with all my gear into the water and schlep it back to the car on the way back. Oh yeah, and I generally plan my dive (gas/deco) such that I don't enter any unwanted situation. So what?

I've met tons of friendly people diving and maybe they can "really" dive and maybe they can't "really" dive (according to your description). But the fact of the matter is, if I can help them carry their tanks and I'm willing to do it, then we can both go diving and have a good time. I'm certainly not going to be bringing everyones tank and gear to and from the dive site, but for me it's a group thing. I help out where I can, others help out where they can, and we end up having a safe fun day of diving. (That doesn't mean I would jeopardize my safety to do any dive).

/$0.02

The problem, as I see it, with this thread, is that the OP has made the assumption that somebody who likes to have their gear carried, or is physically incapable of certain things (such as handicapped divers) etc. is NOT a safe diver. I have met MORE unsafe divers that were too arrogant and stupid to realize just how unsafe they were, but they would have easily passed the OP's question test because of the answers they would have given. Just because some says they are qualified and independant does not mean they are safe divers.

Rescue.....without going to a dictionary I would say that the act of self Rescue is in fact a rescue. I am not going to play games over words, but using the term rescue as the OP did is a valid point. The reality is that for a diver to truly be a safe diver, they should have received sufficient training in order to calmly and safely assess any problem that arises while diving and either get help from their buddy OR address the problem themselves (self rescue). If a diver is not capable of rescuing themselves from most problems that could happen during a dive that is well within their training, then my recommendation would be to get more time with an instructor. They could potentially become a liability for themselves or their dive buddy.

Personally I think that these requests are a bit much as everyone needs to start somewhere... and not everyone is in the best physical shape either.

I would like to point out the fact that honesty and open communication is the real issue here. Being a buddy / a part of a buddy system is a mutual agreement. Both parties agree that they can enter the water, dive and exit the water safely.

If you cannot be a buddy to someone who you consider can't "really" dive, then its important to talk to those people before buddy pairing with them.

For me, yes according to your description I clamor over rocks and ankle breakers with all my gear into the water and schlep it back to the car on the way back. Oh yeah, and I generally plan my dive (gas/deco) such that I don't enter any unwanted situation. So what?

I've met tons of friendly people diving and maybe they can "really" dive and maybe they can't "really" dive (according to your description). But the fact of the matter is, if I can help them carry their tanks and I'm willing to do it, then we can both go diving and have a good time. I'm certainly not going to be bringing everyones tank and gear to and from the dive site, but for me it's a group thing. I help out where I can, others help out where they can, and we end up having a safe fun day of diving. (That doesn't mean I would jeopardize my safety to do any dive).

/$0.02

I agree with you. It should be a give and take thing. But some people are just takers... They come to you when they want or need something then they haul a$$ when you need them. But people need to remember what goes around comes around and NEVER burn bridges!!

I have to disagree, I've met many extremely experienced divers who are always willing to help out the noobs. DiveNY is a great bunch of people with that attitude. IVS is a great shop with that attitude.

Rachel,

I would dive with you anytime - but as you know from my recent thread I am out of diving for a little while awaiting the birth of my daughter next week

Sean

Your on. Let me know when you're good to go. Enjoy that baby. They grow up too fast!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom