New diver looking for gear advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It sounds like you have the money, so why not splurge? While I like the concept of an AI computer, a decent wrist mount seems to be the most versatile, plus I don't really want to worry about the console getting smacked around with an expensive computer inside. One thing that there seems to be no shortage of within this community are opinions - not a bad thing, but at some point I figured that I would put a stake in the sand and live with whatever I decide. You can always change it later.

Whatever you choose to buy, chances are, it'll work well and you'll be happy with it. Thats just the way things are in the scuba world. Gear is often made to such a high degree of reliability and so much attention is paid to detail that its one of those things that never ever die if you treat it well.

When I was working in a LDS and I saw how the rental regs were treated I thought of 2 things :

1) damn I am never using a rental reg again with the way customers whack it around.
2) damn I want something that durable. Every weekend without fail, customers were knock it around, drop tanks on the regs, get seawater in the 1st stage, not rinse after use etc etc and with twice yearly servicing, some of the regs were more than 10 years old.

If you own your reg and you take care of it the way I care for mine, rinsing after use, cleaning, servicing annually and just treating it nicely, it will last you EASILY for 20 years plus no matter which reg you buy.

I'm using an Apeks XTX 200 with XTX 20 octo. Diving every weekend in salt water and no problems so far. I love my reg.

If I had gone with a ScubaPro MK25/S600, it would have said the same thing. Ditto for the Aqualung Titan and Mikron. Basically, go for any of these 3 brands and you will not go wrong. Atomics is very good too. Pick any reg middle to high end and it will serve you faithfully.

Take note of small differences like size of adjustable knob, weight of reg, DIN or yoke, things like that. Spend time at your LDS chatting. I spent 4 months of research and trials before I got my gear =)

I think avoiding hte air integrated computer can save a lot. I have a Mares Puck. 299.00 I think it was?? Anyway I am happy with it. Does everything i need so far. I am new though, maybe in the future when I am more comfortable with myself and knowledge of tables and what not increase I can afford to be a little more lacks and go with air integrated. The only thing I wouldn't go to cheap on is your Reg. Ebay, andcheck out some diveshops that have last years models or items that were used once and returned. Get super deals.

I would shop around alot, Depending on how long you want to keep your gear and what your financial changes will be kinda will dictate what you are going to buy. I just bought an aqualung Mikron demo for 230 service/parts for 1st year is covered through LDS and i will be graduating college in 2 years so will be much better financially to replace it if i have problems shortly down the road. For a reg if your buying one with the intent of having it until its obsolete or nearly destroyed I would buy new from authorized dealer (there are a ton of O-rings and other parts and aslong as you maintain annual service warrenty is good for free parts which will add up to price difference in 2-4 years) and you get the regular warrenty. I would try to avoid being brand faithful because each brand has their niche's. Asfar as computers make sure you get warrenty for a cheap battery replacement or the batteries are user changable, AI vs nonAI is personal preferance.

ohh and to the guy who has only used the titan and loves it, there are hundreds of other regs and many that can compete or beat the titan so i wouldnt say much more than its a good reg and worth checking out. They had those i think for 180 brand new at the LDS tent sale today.

If your ordering online or over the phone remember that you gotta go to a LDS for fills unless you have your own compressor so if your not saving a significant amount i would recommend just buying through LDS to help keep them in business. MOST LDS here will either Price match, come close to price matching, or throw in a perk like an airfill card or a dive or 2 to help make up for their higher prices if you have proof of lower price or if you frequent them emough

If you are seeing deals that price match LP locally, well that is a very good sign! :D Maybe dive shops in your area are starting to come around, they sure are not so much where I live.

An AI computer is not necessary, but they sure are nice! :D However I dive with both an SPG, and my AI computer. I've never needed the SPG, but it's not something that is difficult to carry, and makes a good backup.

I REALLY like my Aeris Atmos 2 computer. It's non-AI, but it's easy to replace the battery, has a nice big display, is easy to set, and to use. Get a download cable if you can find one. BTW, that is an old computer. The current model is the Aeris XR1 or XR2. I now use the Atmos as a backup.

I agree with the poster that suggested that most things scuba are very well made. Ironically some of the least reliable products in recent years are some of the most expensive out there. Suunto D6 and D9 computers, and Halcyon BC's and Inflators to name a couple.

Lots of advice to "wade through"!

I would not recommend buying buying a ScubaPro regulator set from Leisure Pro unless you are willing to go through the hassle of the annual service with a less-than-pleased LDS. Your LDS may not give you grief over it, but more than likely they will (understandably). Leisure Pro sells "gray market" Scuba Pro regs, which means that they come without serial numbers. As one poster said, he just sells his on eBay after a year. SO, be VERY careful if you buy a regulator from eBay and find out if the regulator has a serial number and will be acceptable for service at any LDS or if it is just a used "gray market" someone is trying to unload! :D

That said. I have purchased a lot of regulators (well, O.K. maybe 7-8 sets) on eBay and have only been burnt 1 time. I do some of the servicing myself so that helps, but even then, I just figure in the cost of a service when buying. If you buy say a ScubaPro MK17/ G250, you have a set that is bulletproof, reasonably priced, and will do anything you'll ever need.

**There was a recent thread on SB asking what regulator would you have if money was no option and the ScubaPro MK17/250 was the most often recommended if my feeble memory serves me correctly. This was a surprise since it is definitely not on the expensive end of the regulator spectrum!

I would not waste my money on air-integrated. Honestly, do you really want to spend a chunk more money to have a computer tell you the same thing that your pressure gauge can anyway? :wink:

That said, I bought a cheap Mares M2 brand new for $179 (scubatoys) and am happy with it. I didn't want anything fancy. I would recommend that if you decide to buy a computer, consider getting one that is Nitrox compatible even if you may not be using Nitrox yet. Sure enough, the day after you buy the stupid thing, you'll want to learn Nitrox! :D

yeah the nitrox compatible comp is a must, once you start getting capible of diving outa NDL and even before you may decide you want it so it will save you from having to rebuy a comp, also price diff isnt much if there even is any

True..The prices I mentioned included 600-700 AI computers though...that would probably the price difference.

Honestly, I'm a little surprised that I'm not finding very good deals online through places like LP, etc.... Most of their prices are the same as what our dive shops advertise.

My latest idea was to buy new regs (was looking at Oceanic Delta 4/ Aqua Lung Legend LX) and find a good used BC and tank. The only problem is that the dive shops give you much better prices when you bundle the equipment, that it almost doesnt make sense to buy the used stuff....unless you are able to find some smoking deal of course.

Arik

I too have been working on putting together my first dive package. I did a LOT of research online. Do I go with LDS, online retailer, eBay, Craigslist?? Lots of choices. I actually ended up going with ScubaToys, at the suggestion of another person here on ScubaBoard. They are an authorized dealer with a large shop in Texas, but they are also a big online retailer as well. And because they are an authorized dealer, you get the Manufacturer's Warranty with the products, meaning you can go to any authorized dealer for warranty work and servicing. With LeisurePro, yeah they may have their own warranty, but you also have to pay for all the shipping costs, which can add up. The guys at ScubaToys were really helpful AND they price matched all the lower prices I found. They have free shipping and no sales tax (unless you live in TX). They also upgraded me to 3-day shipping for free as well. I get all my stuff on Friday, can't wait. I would seriously consider getting ahold of Joe at ScubaToys....very friendly to deal with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom