Most and least useful computer functions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can give you a supplementary opinion based on my experience with the Vyper Air this summer: it would be nice to have a way to enable the backlight in "permanent" mode - something like single click on the button activates it for the configured time, and double click activates it until the button is clicked again to turn off. I hate when my computer turns off during a night ascent.

I can give you a supplementary opinion based on my experience with the Vyper Air this summer: it would be nice to have a way to enable the backlight in "permanent" mode - something like single click on the button activates it for the configured time, and double click activates it until the button is clicked again to turn off. I hate when my computer turns off during a night ascent.

Only if you like to get a new battery on every dive.:eyebrow:

Yeah, I do a lot of night diving and rarely even use the backlight. It's night...I have a light in my hand!

To the OP I have a Tusa IQ-700. It has easy to read numbers as do many others however. I've had a few computers and the IQ-700 is close to the perfect computer for me...not too expensive either.

Yeah, I do a lot of night diving and rarely even use the backlight. It's night...I have a light in my hand!

To the OP I have a Tusa IQ-700. It has easy to read numbers as do many others however. I've had a few computers and the IQ-700 is close to the perfect computer for me...not too expensive either.

Is the Tusa IQ-700 the same computer as the Zeagle N2ition? I have been looking at that one also, and I like the layout and features. I too am looking for something in the $300 range. Too many choices!!

Is the Tusa IQ-700 the same computer as the Zeagle N2ition? I have been looking at that one also, and I like the layout and features. I too am looking for something in the $300 range. Too many choices!!

Yes, it's also the same as the Nitek Duo. However you will find that the Duo only has a 1 year warranty and generally costs more! The Tusa has a 2 year warranty.

One major reason I got this model after having Oceanic/Aeris and looking at Suunto is that they all have the same method of changing batteries (very poor method). This is easy and very secure in the way you change batteries.

sounds basic, but: time and date -- makes it easier to enter into your logbook. on my last dive a couple guys had computers that didn't show time and date.

Oh, how I wish the dive computers manufacturers would read this..... are you getting this Mr. Suunto R&D man???

wrist vs. console

- wrist, so that it is easy and convenient to read on ascent. Also, I would hate to have a big, clumpsy, over-sized console hanging off me.

air integration (console)
- No thanks...this would mean I had to have my computer in a console. Not worth it. Though for a newbie diver, having an idea of remaining air time can be useful...and the side-effect of that information is that they can develop a quicker understanding between the effects of depth, breathing rate and their air consumption.

air integration (wrist / hoseless)
- I never bothered with the tranmitter option for my Suunto D9. I never missed it. Though for a newbie diver, having an idea of remaining air time can be useful...and the side-effect of that information is that they can develop a quicker understanding between the effects of depth, breathing rate and their air consumption.

integrated compass (wrist)
- the digital compass in my D9 is ok for a quick reminder of direction, but is not as easy to use a a proper compass when it comes to 'real' navigating. That said, it does mean I can carry one less piece of clutter on a regular basis, as my proper compass has become an 'optional' item, dependant on my planned dive - rather than a core item I carried every time 'just in case'.

ascent alarm
- I don't use/set an audible alarm on mine because I tend to track my ascent on the ascent speed indicator anyway. The ascent display is invaluable, but the alarm would only benefit muppets to stupid to use their computer to monitor their ascent speed.

other alarms
- I don't set any depth/time alarms, because I prefer to be disciplined in my situational awareness during the dive. I do like a PPO2 alarm for nitrox diving though...given the immediate dangers of exceeding MODs. Useful as a back-up for novice divers though.

graphical display
- My D9 has a nice matrix design and I feel it is a big improvement over the LCD displays in my Vyper and Apeks Quantum.

data download to PC w/software

- Not essential by any means. I like this function mostly because I use it as a training aid (the graphic dive profile and tissue pressure graphs) when teaching. Back in the days when I used to log dives... it suited my lazy streak to plug my computer in, rather than fill out a paper logbook.

memory
- As long as it tracks my current nitrogen, I don't care. Back in the days when I used to log dives... a bigger memory suited my lazy streak as I ad to plug my computer in less often.

gauge mode
- essential for technical dives, where I use laptop generated tables and need 2 timing devices/depth gauges to run the dives with.

number display size
- I liked my 'big' Apeks Quantum for diving in the UK (low viz). Here in Asia, the smaller, more detailed, D9 screen is just fine.

number of buttons
- I loved the user interface on my Apeks Quantum...very good menu system and intuiative navigation with 3 buttons. I found the Vyper to be a real hassle. The new Liquivision X1 has no buttons at all (just tap sensors on the sides) and my friends who have them absolutely rave about it.

good looks for everyday watch

- as a full-time dive instructor this is an appealing function for me...it means my computer is always there and never left behind!

algorithm / tissue groups

- I appreciate the RGBM model...and like being credited for Deep Stops with my D9. The best options for me would be algorythms that accurately reflected the V-Planner or GAP programmes...for easy and accurate predictive dive planning on my laptop.

battery type and user-replaceable or not

- User replaceable!!!! My Apeks Quantum is great...a regular, easy-to-obtain watch battery and you only need a coin to open it. I dread my D9 battery going...I will have to send the computer away for a very costly battery replacement! One really good thing I have seen is the rechargeable Liquivision X1... that really takes the hassle away completely...as long as you have a power socket available before diving!

nitrox
- Esssential. With PPO2 alarm and, preferably, customizable PPO2 settings.

other fancy gas settings
- I do accelerated decompression so 2 gasses (Quantum) is nice. 3 gasses (D9) is great. Trimix capable and 4+ decos is best.

freediving mode
- a good feature, if it wasn't for the fact that most computers then lock you out of dive mode for 48 hours!

backlight
- A strong, clear backlight is essential for me...when night, low viz or penetration diving. The Liquivision X1 has the most amazingly bright display of any computer on the market...I want one of those just for that feature alone!

temperature gauge
- never really 'needed' this, but my students/customers offen ask what the water temp is.

stopwatch
- my D9 has a stopwatch, but you cannot access it in dive mode. I wish you could, because as a dive instructor, there are many skills that we are required to time! Even a divetime display in seconds (not whole minutes) would be a useful advantage.

Safety Stop
- All my dive computers provide a display counting down the safety stop. However, only the Quantum provides the count-down in Seconds. I really like the accuracy of that... it helps me plan/prepare my next actions better.

Average Depth
- Useful for calculating general air consumption (SAC) rates.

Time
-
My D9 allows me to toggle the sub-display onto real world time (not bottom time). This is useful for me as an instructor...when I am trying to keep my lessons/schedule on track...it can also be beneficial if diving in areas where tide/current changes.

Last edited:
After begging and borrowing a whole bunch of coms, here's my opinion :D

1) Go for the cheapest option in a good brand.
2) Make sure you can change the battery yourself. The seal isn't any less secure than one which requries bigass wrenches to pry apart and it'll save you a TON of money. Most LDS will recommend something that doesn't allow you to change it yourself so they can make more money. I worked in an LDS and my instructor who I was under for 6 months told me to "let the professionals handle it" and "your life depends on it" type of BS.
3) Make sure it can do basic nitrox. Most can, but keep an eye out. Nitrox capable computers arent much more ex
4) At least 2 buttons and a simple interface.
5) Clutterless display. Underwater all you REALLY want is how deep, how long and how much longer.
6) Wrist mount. Hose mounted computers are referred to much less often and add bulk.

Go cheap. Chances are you'll get more for your money's worth than the spanking new AI com.

Yes, it's also the same as the Nitek Duo. However you will find that the Duo only has a 1 year warranty and generally costs more! The Tusa has a 2 year warranty.

One major reason I got this model after having Oceanic/Aeris and looking at Suunto is that they all have the same method of changing batteries (very poor method). This is easy and very secure in the way you change batteries.

I also found that the Cressi Archimedes II is the same as the Tusa IQ 700, Zeagle N2ition, etc. The funny thing is though, the Cressi is about $120 cheaper than the others. And, I found some not so great reviews of the Cressi Archimedes II, but great reviews on the N2ition and the IQ 700....strange. They truly are identical computers, right? Except for the label?? If that is the case, then I would probably go with the Archimedes II at about $250 to $260.

I also found that the Cressi Archimedes II is the same as the Tusa IQ 700, Zeagle N2ition, etc. The funny thing is though, the Cressi is about $120 cheaper than the others. And, I found some not so great reviews of the Cressi Archimedes II, but great reviews on the N2ition and the IQ 700....strange. They truly are identical computers, right? Except for the label?? If that is the case, then I would probably go with the Archimedes II at about $250 to $260.

The hardware is the same...all made by Seiko I think...I can't say regarding the software. Some companies may be chosen slightly different algorithms. I can't say for sure.
I think the Apex Quantum that Andy was referring to is the same as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom