New PSD course??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...., I have not been happy with most PSD texts books and been toying with the idea of writing something suitable to be adequate for Federal and Provincial Legislation. .

That would be awesome! I'd buy the first copy!

The LGS one is a good starting point but I agree, there could be more in there. I've seen all the old DRI stuff and its even more basic, even at the time - I'd love to see the new DRI stuff but I understand you need to take a course to get it (my curiousity isn't worth the few thousand $ it would cost me to take a training course in order to get a book).
I don't believe ERDI or PSDA have any texts of their own... Does anybody know for sure?

I've always felt the NAUI materials were the best for rec stuff. More detailed with various explantions, colour, diagrams etc (especially the dive tables!)

The PSD community should scrutinize this advance by PADI into the PSD field. There was an instructor some time back that was promoting a PADI Distictive Specialty for Commercial Diving. That led to a combined rebuke by the Assoc. of Diving Contractors, the Assoc, of Commercial Diving Educators and OSHA. The ADC has the "rec diver traing does not qual as Commercial Diver training" letter from most of the major SCUBA agencies posted that were received after the fall out.

In my opinion, PADI is not an agengy qualified to train Public Safety Divers and they should stay in the recreational SCUBA world. Just because the professsionals use equipment similar or the same as recreational divers does not qualify the work and diving at the same level of training and safety as recreational diving. Otherwise a PADI/NAUI/SSI military diver qualification course would be an acceptable alternative to NAVED or BUDS as well.

I'm not a PSD but know a few. Many started as recreational divers through PADI or one of the other recreational agencies, but they have all pursued further technical and commercial training outside the PADI system. Only the actual public service agencies and the PSDs that dive for them (that's you folks) will decide whether this program sinks or swims via their/your support or lack thereof. FWIW, PADI posted this info yesterday in the Member's Toolbox regarding PADI PSD Instructor requirements.

PADI Public Safety Diver Instructor Requirements

1. Master Scuba Diver Trainer, or higher
2. Full Face Mask Distinctive Instructor Certification
3. Dry Suit Instructor Certification
4. Any three of the following PADI Instructor ratings:
1. Search and Recovery
2. Night Diver
3. Limited Visibility
4. Emergency Oxygen Provider
5. Underwater Navigation
5. Current EFR Instructor or qualifying equivalent
6. Current Medical
7. Proof of related profession – Police, Fire, Paramedic, Dive Team Member etc.
8. Minimum 1 year PSD experience
9. 20 missions or 10 missions and 10 PSD certs. (For the purposes of this program a Mission is defined as an incident response, either real or a training scenario where the PSD team triaged to carry out a rescue, search or recovery.)
10. ICS (Incident Command System) training Level II (200). It is free and available online through FEMA website (NIMS – National Incident Management System). You can simply send a copy of your diploma.
http://training.fema.gov/emiweb/is/is100a.asp
http://training.fema.gov/emiweb/is/is200a.asp

Course Materials will include:
1. Public Safety Diver Instructor Guide
2. Lesson Guides
3. Specialized forms and Checklists for use during class and diving operations in the field.

Diver Prerequisites are:
1. PADI Rescue Diver or qualifying equivalent certification;
2. 18 years old;
3. Proof of affiliation/employment with a public safety team
4. Any ancillary courses necessary to carry out public safety diving in the local area (dry suit, full face mask, etc.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom