Cave Diver mishap Ginnie Springs 04SEP09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jnunn04

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just left ginnie springs and they are searching for a diver that failed to return from devil's ear. Please pray for his return, family, and fellow divers.

The text under the photo refers to an area called "Harry's Crack"... this is a fairly advanced portion of the cave, not marked or labelled on any of the maps. According to one buddy I just got off the phone with, generally side-mounted, tho passable in small doubles, but a very silty floor, in sharp contrast to most of the passages in Ginnie, a hard rock bottom.

In one previous posting over on CDF, areas like this and the Wormhole were noted for being very 'tempermental' to navigate, and mentioned the potential to cause poor conditions thru the main passages of the cave, even w/ the high flow in Ginnie.

-Tim

looking at the photo in the report,one recovery diver looks like one of our own,Capt Jim Wyatt.I could be wrong...

From what I heard, the missing diver was a regular at Ginnie....

I hated to hear someone was missing - I drove from north AL to dive the spring. Needless to say, the news had a sombering effect.

looking at the photo in the report,one recovery diver looks like one of our own,Capt Jim Wyatt.I could be wrong...
I'm afraid we'll be matching up more screen names than Jim's, but hopefully the names don't get posted until the family and close friends get notified.

I've heard what contender has, and it sounds like the ending wasn't a good one. :depressed:

There is another thread on it in the Incidents and Accidents section. The diver didn't make it. The body has been recovered from what I heard. Its a bad day up there. I feel for the family.

This isn't good... Most likely we're looking at a recovery. :palmtree: Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom