Need a North Coast tour!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JoshP

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I live in Petaluma (30 miles north of SF), I love the BW but want to try something up north. What are some good places up north, how far away are they (reasonable to go in the AM and drive back after a day of diving), can you camp there, and is anyone going soon who wouldn’t mind me to tag along so i can get familiar with the dive sites?

I’m open to anything, quarry, lake, ocean, bay...puddle.

I am going for my AOW on Nov 8th in Monterey but would like to get a few day trips, maybe even a weekend camping trip (if possible) in between now and then, since I haven’t dived since June.

With the Bridge closure this weekend would be a great opportunity. North Coast Divers is having a club dive this Saturday at Sill Water Cove. Feel free to come out and dive. You are probably around an hour and fifteen minutes from the dive site?? Not sure as I live in Santa Rosa and go a different way.

September 5th NCD dive at Stillwater Cove

an hour and fifteen from Petaluma to Stillwater is pretty close to right on. Look forward to seeing you on the NCoast Josh.

Yeah, come out and join us tomorrow! We should have a pretty good turn out, the more the merrier!

I was unable to make it this weekend. If anyone wants to buddy up and head out there this weekend. I would love to go. Where are good places to camp there?

Stillwater is great camping (and you have a dive site close by) Fort Ross, Ocean Cove, Gerstle Cove (at Salt Point State Park) and many others. There may be abalone divers out this weekend too at sites like Fisk Mill Cove, Timber Cove, etc. I would love to go but I work this weekend in Bodega Bay. I have a State Park Pass and would love to hook up and dive sometime. I live right up the street from you in Cotati and have a good dive boat to dive from.

Edit: Oh yeah, I almost forgot to tell you that the Jetty at Doran Beach is a decent free dive site (boat traffic-need float flag) for spearfishing, abalone and photo although the water is murky much of the time, and high winds are common. It's not Monterey by any stretch but it is beautiful in a different way. There is a diver on this site (ZKY?) who has some good stories about diving around spud point marina to view lots of invertibrates and nudis and so forth.

Steve

Last edited:
Steve and all others interested the guys from pinnacles dive shop are going up north to ft Ross or somewhere close on the 20th. Pm me your info if you can make it.

I'm going to try an be in Monterey/Carmel that weekend, and will be looking for dive buddies for boat dives.

Steve and all others interested the guys from pinnacles dive shop are going up north to ft Ross or somewhere close on the 20th. Pm me your info if you can make it.

Bamboo Reef has their Oct dive planned at Fort Ross for the 3rd of the month. You have to sign up, but I have heard they are always a good time. Might even join in myself this year.

Why do you need a dive shop to go diving? Find a buddy and go when the conditions are good.

This weekend is not looking so good though.

PZZ540-545-102215-
POINT ARENA TO POINT REYES TO 10 NM-
POINT REYES TO PIGEON POINT TO 10 NM-

SAT
W WINDS 5 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT.
W SWELL 7 TO 9 FT AND SW 3 FT. PATCHY FOG.

SUN
S WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS.
W SWELL 6 TO 8 FT AND S 3 FT. PATCHY FOG.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom