Why I love Cozumel!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tedgarner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok in the interest of an up beat happy thread. Let's see why you love cozumel and don't just say diving give it some thought.
What about the diving do you enjoy?
What do you enjoy top side ?
We know what we don't like and complain about it openly. Now lets give the Cozumel forum a happy face and some sunshine.
Tell every one why you love cozumel !:wink:

I love the diving b/c of the great DMs and how easy they make it to enjoy the dive.

Topside, I love the people and the cheap local eateries. And I don't mind the occasional tequila either.

Beautiful water and such a peaceful place both above and below the surface.

From my very first trip up to the last trip (Feb of 09) the people of Cozumel are my favorite reason to return. Most don't know very many of the tourists but no matter where you meet them they always make you feel like they invited you to the island. You can show up at the square on Sunday night, or just about any island activity without feeling like you are intruding, because they want to share the island, their culture etc. I've never felt that welcome any where else I've traveled.
Next thing I like about it is just how far your money can go at the restaurants compared to other tourist destinations, and the food is of excellent quality even though it's not expensive. The diving is also a good value when you compare cost per day against all the things you'll get to see, with the bonus being the water temp not being "freezing cold" no matter what time of year you visit. Unfortunately it's not quite the sleepy little place it once was but it's still just as friendly.

I love Cozumel because living in Denver its the easiest place for me to get to for quality diving. Factor in cost, and its a combination I have yet to beat.

I love Cozumel, STILL, because of the people, the culture and the diving--in that order. I came here in 1992 and I know that many have preceded me, but then I found a warm and friendly people, a beautiful environment, and a great place to live. My wife and young daughter can roam anywhere on the island, day or night and I have no worries. Where else can one say that?

Of course I have heard the stories about how it was before I came, and how even more beautiful was the place in the 80s, but I have heard the same stories about the nineties when I started here. To me, the bottom line is that Cozumel remains of the same essence that drew me here in 1992. Daily life is easier now with Chedrui and Mega, but it is just as easy to ignore the cruise ship weenies downtown--that saw 11 cruise ships in port in April 1993. I did then, I get over it now!

So, it is a bit more crowded downtown, and Prima has moved upstairs, but Cozumel remains the "Perla del Caribe".

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

We have been going to Cozumel for about 10 years. We fell in love with the island from the very first trip. We have found the people to be so very pleasant and always willing to make sure that you enjoy yourself in their homeland. We love the culture as well as always making it a point to find a new restaurant on every trip. Anywhere we travel, we always do our best to stay away from the tourist locales and look for the favorites of the locals. We always ask where the locals like to eat.

it's the people first and formost. I've always felt welcome. shop owners seem to appreciate the business, food is always great and affordable, the layed back atmosphere, and then there is the water, the divemasters, the diving..... ok, i need to book a flight!

We just returned from our first trip to Cozumel. We were prepared to be underwhelmed after reading alot of the hyperbole about Cozumel ... not so. What we love most about the place is the people. Truly wonderful friendly folks who go out of their way to help the visitor ... e.g., we were walking along the street and a fellow on a motor bike stopped to ask if we wante to rent a car, buy a condo, etc... We politely said no ... then he spent some time telling about places to eat, things to see, and then he moved on and wished us a nice visit to his island. Just a friendly fellow helping out a visitor. The grace of the Cozumel natives is memorable.

Yes, the diving is all folks say it is, but the people of the island and the environment they create for us visitors is what I remember.
JR

Back
Top Bottom