magnetic or clip lanyards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lottifish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm looking into getting a lanyard for my underwater camera and was wondering if anyone has an opinion on the magnetic lanyards vs. clip lanyards? Or other thoughts?

It depends on if you are wearing gloves or not it can be hard to unclip something if so a magnet might be better. But if your not I would go with a clip I think it is more secure.

I'm looking into getting a lanyard for my underwater camera and was wondering if anyone has an opinion on the magnetic lanyards vs. clip lanyards? Or other thoughts?

If you value you camera, go with the clip version. Otherwise, the magnetic one is fine.

:eyebrow:

opinion? zip ties & a bolt snap.

me too, but the op might find ties easier to get.

I only dive in warm water, but I am delighted with my clip lanyard for my camera. I saw too many potentials for problems with the magnetic one...connecting when I didn't want it to.

Here is my point and shoot in an Ikilite housing:
CameraLens2.jpg

The clip line is long enough that it goes from my left upper D-ring to the camera at full arm extention. This allows me to drop it and wave it behind my back out of the way on the left side if I need to use both hands. The line also allows for safe handing of the camera from boat to diver and diver to boat. Neither one lets go of the camera or the line untill the other say they have it.

The wet lens is also on a leash and can be taken off at will and will remain on the camera even if it becomes unscrewed somehow.

Last, no knots if I can help it. If I want a clip to saty on, I splice it on.

Pete Johnson

I use something like this:

AQUMRBK.JPG

It has worked well over the years, but the plastic clip broke on my last trip. This was not a problem in that the camera was still attached, but eventually these type of plastic clips do break.

I may try to fix the clip using a blot snap... or... just buy another. If the plastic that holds the camera to the strap broke, that could be more of an issue, but mine is not quite like this one, so nothing to break other than the clip.

Back
Top Bottom