recommended dive shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oceancat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am questing for a new dive shop in the RTP area. I have been to two and one I definitely am not happy with--is it standard practice here to envelope tanks in PADI Nitrox stickers before getting them filled? I have gotten tanks filled with nitrox in New England for years without having to have a PADI nitrox sticker put on the tanks and the other shop I went to here in NC did not make me do that (and they are also a PADI shop). The shop I went to today refused to fill my tanks unless I paid for this stupidly large PADI nitrox sticker that they slapped on my tanks and they said all the shops in this area require it--which I know is not true since I had my tanks filled and they didn't put on the sticker at the other place....anyway, I won't use them again. Unfortunately, I desperately needed nitrox since I went diving yesterday and am going again on Tues. and they were the only ones who could get me gas before my dives--they shop I had been using was closed today. SO-what shops do you long time locals recommend? The first shop I tried was ok, but don't know what the favored shops in the area are. I am in Chapel Hill but will travel anywhere in the RTP area for a good shop--preferably one with an active dive club, as I would like to go diving with people I know. Thanks.

I will say, I was absolutely AMAZED at the diving down here--went out with Olympus Sat. and at first the boat broke, but they fixed it after a 2 hr delay and we were off (I have had my 4 dives prior to this one blown out-so am very happy they got the boat fixed). I am a convert already! Wow! Had very nice dives on the Spar and Indra--so many fish the the water--a good number of sharks on the Spar. Viz was better than what I am used to--30' on the Spar and about 15' on the Indra. The baracuda here are large-yikes!

Don't know about the shops, & the Spar & Indra are nice, but you have yet to see what NC diving is all about.
MHC has the U-352, Papoose(or Hutton), Caribsea & Atlas to name a few favorites.
Wilmington has the Normania, City of Houston, Cassimer, Rosin wreck & 18 Fathom.
Cape Hatteras has the Tarpon, Proteus, British Splendour, Manuela.

I agree with RAD, you ain't seen nuthin yet. Those storms have messed up the VIS. Wait'll you hit the spar with 80+ ft vis and 40+ sandtigers, or the sub, Paputton, Schurz with 100+ feet of vis.

Know nothing about the shops in the area, I don't have stickers on my tanks and Discovery had no problems giving me Nitrox.

AL

ok, in the triangle - gypsy divers in raleigh, down under surf & scuba in cary, water world in durham. i think there's one more in raleigh - herman??

personal opinion - i don't like gypsy. many others do, it's probably just me. down under i've never had a problem with. water world used to be my lds, and i liked them a lot. *however*, i didn't get fills when i lived there. at first i didn't own tanks, and then when i did i got fills in florida and dove them the next week or so in fantasy lake then went to florida again! so i can't help you about the idiosyncrasies of fills, but you're closest to down under or water world so give them a call.

another option is nadco in greensboro, which is a very highly thought of shop, but i've never been there. it wasn't close enough for me, but depending on where you work & what kind of diving you do, it might be worth it.

Back
Top Bottom