Wrist Dive Computer or Console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I understand that you don't want the new divers to loose their computers and in that sense an air integrated or console computer would be a good choice as it is probably harder to loose a big object (regulator with console) than a smaller object with all the gear that your new divers will need. If you are looking for an affirmation that this is ok, then go for it.

On the other hand I think it is easier to keep track of both pressure and computer info when the two are separate. I keep my pressure gauge clipped to my left chest D ring with my hp hose routed under my left armpit. I keep my computer and compass on my right arm and my slate on my left arm because I am right handed. To check my pressure I simply look down and to check my depth and ndl or decompression obligations I simply look at my right arm. Most of the computers with consoles or air integrated computers seem to be a little bit big and floppy to clip to my left chest D ring. Wireless would get around the floppy issue, but then you are back at the wrist versus console issue again. Just my two cents.

Maybe you guys missed my Q intent on the 3rd sentence and the second, I have been certed a while just not down so I'm taking the course with my girls and wife again. Chapter 5, page 227 in the PADI OWD manual.

I don't want to risk my 3 stooges losing a $300-500 DC in a dive bag vs a text msg from their I phones instead.

If you're diving your plan of NDL anyway a quick glance every so often is all that's needed. You guys are spoiled on these DC's.
It sounds like you already know what you want to do. We don't know your stooges :wink:, so we'll take your word that they are likely to lose wrist computers, in which case consoles are a sensible option. I still wouldn't be tempted by gas-integration, but I guess it's a lot cheaper option if it's not the wireless kind. I used to have one and managed to not dangle it. A lot of the commercially available connectors don't keep it close enough to your body, particularly retractors. I used a bolt snap so that I could unclip it if need be, but I could view it without un-clipping.

I got re-certified when my wife got certified and it was fun the second time around too, just seeing things through her (wide) eyes.

I can configure the SPG right or left on the first stage so I would be right hand on the computer on asent and left on the BC buttons for release , which would be perfect. It was never a problem reaching back left or right to check my guages for me. Vertical or Horizontal

Entanglement? There are many solutions for getting streamlined with todays BC's and with the jacket /back inflates, I don't see that as an issue if I'm OW on a reef. Again I can control a line and for Christ Sake, worrying about a line drag on a reef, I'd have to be 3 feet from the Coral.

Vlad and Spaceman,

All good points and yes I look forward to the "Scuba Grin" they will show me once they get their faces underwater.

Another reason for consoles is 3 of 8 in this months DIVER mag are consoles, a smaller percent yes but the 3 are all good too.

To elaborate a bit (I'm bored).

Dangling consoles are en entanglement hazard and a risk to coral/bottom life, but I've never found a satisfying way to attach a console. Console retractors need to be huge and tug on your arm, and bolt snap on hip is a pain when you need to check your depth often (you do).

You need your left hand free to check your console - this isn't camera/light/assist/DSMB/cute dive buddy's hand friendly. If you like to keep your hand on your inflator hose on the ascent, you won't be able to do that either - and ascent is the time when you want to monitor your depth all the time.

The only advantage I see to a console compared to a SPG + wrist computer is that all your information is available at the same place. However, I check depth and time a lot more often than remaining gas. So to me, moving all the information to the relatively 'inconvenient' SPG place (compared to wrist) is not an improvement.

Conclusion: consoles are evil and an invention of the dive industry so they can sell you wrist computers when you grow wiser and get twice the amount of cash. They will strangle you in your sleep and cause your first stage to leak in disgust. I wouldn't go as far as blaming them for making California waters cold, but they're clearly responsible for convincing people they ought to wear a snorkel on their mask at all times.

I totally agree with all your serious points. A couple of my recreational buddies use consoles and have to unattach from their rig and keep extended out to view all during the ascent and stops. It is an annoyance for them and somewhat painful for me to watch...

When I first got mine I went with the console and now I've added a wrist one. So now I dive with both.

Like many others who posted earlier, I went from a console to a AI wrist unit, backed up with a SPG, which I much prefer. Computer and compass on right arm both in a DSS bungee mount, with slate on left arm. I prefer a 30 inch hose on my spg, I route it under my left arm, under my chest strap, where I can view it in low or no light diving.

If your "stoogies" might be inclined to lose something, a console might just be the way to go. Doesn't mean you have such limitations. Good luck on your decision.

I am re-thinking that a console would be better overall since you just reach for a hose vs your wrist and check as needed during a dive (frequent).

Like I said before I've never used one and I'm still here....... just time, tables, watch and depth gauge. I do see the major benefits however and can't wait to dive with one. The SUTTO demo's are great to download.

With 3 new divers I think they ( DC) would stay around longer if attached to the reg and then you also get psi info on the console with a $900 AI stage 1 thingy.

So please give your personal opinion for the ones trying to decide and ones that have had to outfit 4 divers at once!!

It depend upon the type of diving you do (or project that you will do). Generally the console units are the least expensive, with the highest end units worn on the wrist. The types and number of gas mixtures utilized also increases the price.

Many divers believe that having a dive computer prevents them from doing their homework; which is just not true. Computers allow some diver's to neglect the dive planning process, which can result in tragedy. Regardless of having an excellent computer (Liquivision X1), it's important for me to plan my expected depth, gas consumption and a few "what if" decompression models before I get wet. Experience has taught me (to my embarrassment) that if something can go wrong, it often will. :)

After diving for over 18 years, i finally went with a console type of computer, I haven't misplaced it. A couple of years ago I found a wrist mount dive computer in about 4 feet of water in a local quarry with only 25 (ish) dives on it. Sold it to one of my students. I would not go wrist mount, just my opinion. Bill

I recently reconfigured from a console to a wrist. I will agree with enzediver though, my only concern in the misplace or lose factor. On your console you know where it is and if you have your regs you have your computer. But, I do prefer the wrist mount from a functional standpoint.

Back
Top Bottom