The Airport in Cozumel - arrival insanity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The first time we ever UG to FC was this past March in route to the Philippines, (17 hour flight). There were only 10 of us up there. OMG, lazy boy sized seats, order off the menu, white linens, non-stop service, special check in, (with severe glares from everyone), and the club lounge....whoa... big screeen TV, all the food and drink, really comfy, I told my wife you go ahead to the PI, I'll just stay in the lounge for a month.
Anyway, I'll check in the day before I leave for HOU-COZ and see if I can UG

A few clarifications:

- The shuttle vans are $8 per person. Walking out to the circle and getting a van-taxi to El Cantil is $15 total. That's why it's cheaper if you're in a group.

- Avoiding the time-share barkers is easy. Just wear a T-Shirt from one of the local dive ops or restaurants. My Ernesto's shirt works like a champ. They don't even bother.

MJZ1634.gif

Yeah, but it takes so long to choke down a half-pound pill.

A few clarifications:

- The shuttle vans are $8 per person......

FYI:

The shuttles are $80 pesos /13 = $6.15 USD (to the north hotel zone, downtown and as far south as Presidente, from F.Americana to Ibero it's a little more)

Not $8 USD = $104 pesos

If you can, have pesos with you, or get pesos with a debit card at the ATM in the aiport.

You can get a Private airport van by paying 12 spaces, non-stop service. 12x80/13=$74 USD

Wow, at that you might as well go rent a car. That would get you a good 3 days of rental car.
That brings up a question. If my bud stays with the excess luggage at the terminal while I go get a rental car, can I drive it to the terminal to pick him and it up...?

When we got there and got through customs and immigration, we ran the gauntlet of people trying to get our attention. There were at least 30 people calling me over saying "Sir! Sir", or "May I help you". I was warned ahead of time that all of these guys are Time Share salesmen trying to get you to go to their properties for a sales presentation. These guys are lined up like electronics salesmen when you get through the door.

Next time try the magic pass words "No gracias" , smile and go about your buisness. No time share salesman will beat you up or harm you in any way. Don't stress, you're on vacation. Most caribbean countries have their version of this, it's just the way it is.

I agree with Mfinley ... it is relatively painless to say "no gracias" or "no thanks." While it may be a bit confusing when first getting out of customs and wondering where to go and how to get to the hotel, these folks have their job and I found they in general they were respectful and respected a "no thanks." As others have suggested, if you are a single or couple, go the the window to the left of the customs exit, but your van tickets, smile at folks, and enjoy the Cozumel atmosphere. Relax, breath deep, and enjoy a different culture.

I agree with Mfinley ... it is relatively painless to say "no gracias" or "no thanks." While it may be a bit confusing when first getting out of customs and wondering where to go and how to get to the hotel, these folks have their job and I found they in general they were respectful and respected a "no thanks." As others have suggested, if you are a single or couple, go the the window to the left of the customs exit, but your van tickets, smile at folks, and enjoy the Cozumel atmosphere. Relax, breath deep, and enjoy a different culture.
Been there lately? They moved the van ticket sales down the hall to the right, then on the left side, a few years ago. And I have had times I thot the TS salesmen were a little pushy, but I guess it's been a long time. My first trip there, I asked one where to buy van tickets and he tried to get me into an office - which seemed wrong to me but I can see some getting suckered.

If you over pack like me and use a porter to haul your bags, they can lead you to the van ticket window, but I've gotten better about getting my load to trail on wheels. If they move the window again, pass the word.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom