DX-1G - Should I buy the Wide Angle Lens?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ratings

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All! I've been having fun with the DX-1G for the last two years! Love it and I'm not ready to upgrade to a SLR yet. Question: Is the $450 price tag (lens & caddy) worth the investment? Are the photos enhanced by 10% or 50% in your opinion? I love the idea but being a bit blurry about the whole 16mm vs 24mm want to make sure that I'm going to be blown away by the improvement! I appreciate your thoughts!
:blinking:

You are looking at this the wrong way, it is not a percentage but a perspective. N

Hi Ratings. I have the DX-1G with the wide angle lens for about 2 years now. Apparently you were also one of the first users. I never regretted that I bought a wide angle lens nor with this camera nor with my previous one (Sealife DC500). I use it on at least 1 out of every 2 dives. Most of the time to take pictures of the underwater landscape or, when the water conditions are not optimal, to take pictures closer to the subject so that there are less particles between the lens and the subject. Most of the time when using the wide angle lens I work with natural light and not with a strobe. Shooting RAW makes it easy to correct the white balance afterwards. For wrecks or other wide objects you can take pictures that otherwise wouldn't be possible. Basically it allows you to get closer to the subject (less water between the camera and subject and thus better quality picture) or to get more of the subject in the picture when staying at the same distance as with standard lens.
So if it is worth it depends a lot on what kind of pictures you take. I wouldn't want to miss it. On the other hand, my best pictures are taken without the wide angle lens.

I also have the DX-1G with the wide angle lens, about 1 year and no regrets. Very handy to have it on the caddy ready in case you need it. As Gustele says getting less water between the lens and the subject for big things can significantly improve the picture quality. I don't think you will be blown away by the improvement but I think you will be pleased.

Cheers

A big heartfelt THANK YOU to all of you that replied. I really appreciate it! I did it! I got the wide angle lens and can't wait to use it on my upcoming trip on the Bilikiki!
Thanks again and thanks ScubaBoard for your valuable service!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom