Atlanta Aquarium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not to get all political or anything, but I always feel a bit conflicted when it comes to whales or whale sharks in captivity and have a hard time supporting aquariums with these exhibits. As divers we have the ability to interact with these creatures in their own habitat, and seeing a whale shark behind a glass plate pales in comparison to having one swim right up to you and show genuine curiosity about you.

I understand exactly what you are saying. I felt the same way after hearing that Whale Sharks naturally like to go to deeper depths at night. At 30ft this is not going to fit the bill!

I only hope that the damage is offset by making non-divers aware of the fragility of the ocean ecosystems. But, sometimes I wonder about even this when I see Bubba letting his kids whack at the glass of these display tanks!

yeup... lots of corporate sponsorship, but the guy who started Home Depot gave most of the money to build the Aquarium. (out of his personal funds, not corporate). Otherwise it wouldn't be there.

Ya, Bernie Marcus gave a lot of cash out of his own pocket for it. Pretty cool of him. I've got no problem with corporate funding, he'll it's better than having the tax payers foot the bill.

This place however is one step away from tattoing corporate logos on the animals.

Eitherway if anyone is ever in Atlanta, eat pulled pork at Pig N Chick, goto the Sweetwater brewery on a Thursday for all you can drink good beer for $5 and visit the Georgia Aquarium

[/end trip]

I didn't say it was cheap. I wouldn't turn it down if it was gift but I don't see me paying to do it.

I dove Epcot.... it was fun. But I won't be diving it on my next trip. (and it was only about $150 I think. so as for paying $300 for it, I'd rather go to the gulf for the weekend, get in 4 dives in the ocean and see all kinds of other life. might even see a whale shark as a bunch have been sighted down there.)

The one thing about the Epcot dive is the diving fees are used 100% to support the Epcot aquarium. I think its eligible as a donation deduction. I don't know if ther Atlanta Aquarium is like that.

Allen

By far the coolest aquarim I've ever been to. One of the best things about A-town. I can sit in front of the Belugas all day. The huge tank with the whale sharks is pretty cool as well.

Talk abot corporate though. I came real close to buying a bunch of tools at Home Depo while drinking a Coke to send them home via UPS.

The Atlanta aquarium is great and at least is close to home, but the one I want to see is this one:

The Atlanta aquarium is great and at least is close to home, but the one I want to see is this one:

I wouldn't mind seeing that one myself, even if I won't get the best pulled pork there. That's pretty sweet!

I dove Epcot.... it was fun. But I won't be diving it on my next trip. (and it was only about $150 I think. so as for paying $300 for it, I'd rather go to the gulf for the weekend, get in 4 dives in the ocean and see all kinds of other life. might even see a whale shark as a bunch have been sighted down there.)

Yeah for the money spent at Atlanta you could have a nice weekend in the Gulf.

Other than the physical layout of the tank, the Atlanta whale shark tank looks pretty much exactly like that video.

The one thing about the Epcot dive is the diving fees are used 100% to support the Epcot aquarium. I think its eligible as a donation deduction. I don't know if ther Atlanta Aquarium is like that.

Allen

Isn't EPCOT part of Disney? How is the EPCOT aquarium a non profit? On the other hand, the Georgia Aquarium is a non-profit. So I think that the cheaper rate at EPCOT is probably partially subsidized by the theme park around it. While it was cool to wave at the people eating dinner from the inside, there were so many reminders that "you're part of the Disney experience now, so behave!"

Ok, so I did a little survey of aquarium diving, and for 300, you can get a PADI Aquarium Diver card at the National Aquarium in Baltimore, with 2 30 minute dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom