Our first Puffer!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SkuaSeptember

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My 14 yo and I were diving Back Beach last Thursday and trying out her new camera when we came across this 1 inch Puffer that did not want to have it's picture taken. The Pipefish were very cooperative however!
The conditions were perfect, 64 deg. and we had the site all to ourselves. What a great dive!

Attachments

• Puffer.jpg
    Puffer.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 96
  • Pipe Fish Edited 2.jpg
    Pipe Fish Edited 2.jpg
    426.8 KB · Views: 89
  • P5180022_01.jpg
    P5180022_01.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 84
Yes!!!

I saw one also at the Fort. Exactly like that.

Real nice find and my first one also besides a yellow-black spotted horned cowfish seen last year I thought was a puffer.

Awesome! I didn't know that puffers (or cowfish for that matter) existed around here. Is that due to the gulf stream curving north this time of year?

Actually, we have the small northern puffers here that are native; but yes this was a tropical puffer in from the Gulf Stream.

I find it a challenge to pick out the distinguishing details on small juveniles so I really couldn't say if this was a misplaced tropical or a Northern. It looks a lot like the example in Andy Martinez's book. The only reason we spotted it was that it was behaving differently from the cunner it was hanging with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom