Sea Dragons in Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw one in july but was wandering what they call that paticular species of them, I know it wasent a leafy.

There are no weedy or leafy sea dragons outside of Australia. Are you referring to the pipehorse(Acentronura dendritica)?

pipehorse.jpg

If sea dragons are only in ausi then it must have been a pipe horse, it looked like a sea horse but had a straight tail and was about 3" long hiding in a fan around villa blanca.

Sounds more like you are describing a pipefish. Pipefish are the right length and have straight tails. [Pipe horses, on the otherhand, are tiny and have tails like seahorses.]

Pipefish (Cosmocampus elucens).

pipefish.jpg

Pipehorse (Acentronura dendritica)

pipehorse3.jpg

Just wish I would have taken some photo's of it now but I'd never heard of pipe fish, pipe horses till now. Maybe I'll get lucky and see one again next trip? Thanks for all the reply's!

These critters are very small and you may pass a pipehorse by -- it looks just like a piece of seaweed unless you stop and take a good look at it. Jim's pipefish is a "shortfin", which is the most common species seen in Cozumel. Coz also has whitenose (the snout is white), harlequin (even rings -- light and dark -- along its length), and banded (shorter snout than the others and has a repetitive pattern along its length as follows: dark ring, light ring, dark ring, medium ring, dark ring...) Happy hunting!

Back
Top Bottom