Diver missing in Davao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We visited all the dive shops today to find a banca for a photography competion here. Only one known spearfisher was listed as diving. An operator told us that there has been a big drop in scuba spear fishing via their shop.

I feel sorry for some who got introduced to diving for spear fishing, as it seems that they have stopped diving after this tragedy because this is only reason they dived/pleasure they found.

Note: Under PCSSD rules and regs, spear fishing with scuba is not permitted via dive shops/instructors/DMs/dive agencies in the Philippine Islands.

Now maybe I am just slow.....
Spearfishing while SCUBA diving is illegal and always has been illegal. So, to sum it all up....those divers are diving radical and idiotic profiles while conducting illegal activities and not being considerate of the sport at large. Ok, got it. Just wanted to be clear.

Besides rallying against banning "spear fishing" altogether, Why don't they also rally protecting the coral reefs and the marine environment in Davao for REAL. So that in a few years time, they do not need to go to absurd / stupid depths to see (not kill) fish. Much to my dissapointment, it's in a sad, sorry state. Now, these deaths... more reason to be sad for Davao. I'm not inclined to dive there again until I hear more concrete actions to make diving in Davao safe again. (I may not be diving that depth but if I'm in a boat with the spearfisher who went missing...@#$%!, diving will never be the same for me again! Call it OA but everybody should go home with a good experience. Sounds shallow considering what has happened but isn't it how it should be?).

Last edited:
In General Santos Both Cambridge Dive Center and South Point Divers will not entertain Spear Fishermen and have not done for some time now! Some Spear Fishers com and bring their own Air as we will not fill for them!
As for night Spear Fishing, thats crap shooting sleeping reef fish! Any Spear Fisher worth his salt will only go for Palagic targets as that can be called sport bu to shoot sleeping fish sure can not be!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom