Cape Ann 9/19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Captndan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My wife and I are going camping in Cape Ann next weekend and are considering diving. She is a new diver (but a good one), so we dont want to go anywhere with tricky entries etc. Want to do a shore dive or two. Is anyone going to be shore diving next weekend or can at least recommend a place? We will probably be camping at Cape Ann campsite again. Last time we went we ran into some divers in the park next to the harbor, but that dive site isnt listed on any websites I can find. Suggestions?

Why not do the best, ie. Folly Cove. The entry is now mostly sand and is much easier than a couple of years ago. Do not park there, drop your stuff and park up the hill. The wall on the left side is as good as it gets anywhere in NE.

The other option is to take the Cape Ann Diver's boat.

Stay away from Stage fort Park, it's very dangerous. Many divers have drowned there. I read that the site is so boring that divers have been known to fall alseep diving and their regs popped out of their mouths which is how they drowed. Unless you like a lot of sand, the occasional moon snail, sand dollars. You really should try Folly or Old Garden as two must dive shore dives for beginners with easy entry.

Another thing Front Beach has going for it is a nice little reasonably-priced restaurant right across the street called "Nate's at Front Beach" (seafood, burgers, etc).

There's also a very nice new bathroom right at Front Beach. :)

Those two features alone might make your camping/diving trip a much better memory for you both and more likely to happen again sometime..... :wink:

Front Beach offers enough rocky areas to make the diving interesting, but it's really unsurpassed for convenience!

I really enjoy diving there, but probably won't be there this weekend, unfortunately.

If you want more info about headings, etc, just holler.

Dave C

Folly sounds like the place to go, and since my wife has the bladder of a 6 month old, the restaurant and bathroom facilities might be just what we need. And I love a good wall dive. Ill try to check out Back and Front beaches and Old Garden as well. Maybe we can make it a 3 dive day.

I would love to have some info on headings and any other specifics I should know. Thanks for all the info so far!

Folly sounds like the place to go, and since my wife has the bladder of a 6 month old, the restaurant and bathroom facilities might be just what we need. And I love a good wall dive. Ill try to check out Back and Front beaches and Old Garden as well. Maybe we can make it a 3 dive day.

I would love to have some info on headings and any other specifics I should know. Thanks for all the info so far!

To be clear, there are no bathrooms or restaurant at Folly Cove (the post above referenced Front Beach). I have not been to Folly in 2 years, but the last time (and for the 8 years prior to that) the entry was not 'bad' if you can find a path to avoid the basketball size rocks, but at dead low tide it can be a tricky entry. If you find a path you're OK, but scope it out first.

Oops, I think you mean Front Beach in Rockport. Folly probably is not the type of entry you are looking for, lots of slippery rocks, and the only facilities there are your wetsuits. Front Beach is also a better option for seeing things than Stage Fort Park. The only thing you'll see at Stage Fort is moon snails and half of those will have "Titleist" written on them.

Folly, Old Garden and Front / Back Beach are all good recomendations. As previsouly stated, there are no facilities at Folly (or Old Garden) although the entry at Folly's is much improved thanks to a storm last year that covered the majority of the baby heads with sand. Old Garden is very straight forward and I think there's more to see there but that's just my opinion.

My advice is to do them all! Folly and OGB in the AM then Back Beach and finish it up at Front Beach with a bite to eat and some rehydration at Nate's.

There you have it. Your trip is planned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom