Sandals-Veradaro, Cuba Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wyatt2323

Registered
Reaction score
Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA (formerly Baton Rouge.
# of dives
50 - 99
I am thinking of going to Veradaro, Cuba at the end of the month. The Sandals resort is offering "all inclusive" scuba diving.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this option and can offer any input? I get the feeling that it may be a touristy, teach you to dive in 3 hours and let you go to 33 ft. thing.

Also, I've heard rumours that they don't recognize PADI certification in Cuba. Anyone know? I don't want to be grouped up with the 3 hour-quickie course divers.

Thanks in advance,
David

I've been to Varadero but didn't dive. I went on a sailing trip that did a snorkel stop and that was pretty bad. I've not really heard good things about diving right around Varadero I'm afraid. Friends went to Breezes Jibacoa (which is south of the Varadero peninsula) and dove there. They said it was average.
I've never heard that Cuba doesn't recognize PADI. That's just not true. The shops may not all be PADI, but they still recognize you're certified by the largest dive organization in the world! If Sandals is really trying to tell you that they are full of it.
If you're going primarily for a dive trip, I'd go elsewhere, but if it's a cheaper beach vacation you're after, you'll have a great time in Varadero. Since the diving is included you may as well try it, but I wouldn't expect too much. I'd bring your own gear too.

Hi David,

I have stayed in Varadero and dived there with Barracuda, which is one of the 2 local dive centres in the area. I did a couple of shore dives with some beginners - very disappointing. Viz not brilliant and hardly anything to see. I also did a full day trip to the Bay of Pigs, which offered much more in terms of coral and fish but nothing to get excited about. Also did a couple of wrecks in the Varadero area - those dives provided a bit more interest.

I am afraid that what little I have heard about Sandal's in-house diving operation does not make me inclined to pay the massive premium that Sandals charge for their 'ultra all-inclusive program'. However, this is based entirely on hearsay evidence, so it is best to speak to someone who has actually experienced it first-hand - it may save you from making a costly mistake. And to back up what DiverDebbie says, PADI qualifications are definitely recognised in Cuba.

I wouldn't go back to Varadero specifically to dive but I certainly would for a cheap(ish) all-inclusive holiday in the sun, with diving and salsa thrown in!

Regards,
Lily

Hubby & I stayed at Sandals Sept 13-20 and loved it. We didn't pick it because of the diving but it turned out to be one of the highlights for us. I am a diver of 20+ years but hubby never wanted to learn.

At Sandals the pool session was free and so were the three 9m dives he did the following three days. He is now hooked and wants to get certified and buy his own equipment. The dive shop at Sandals is ACUC but I am Padi certified and there was no problems. Most of the other divers were from the UK and also had Padi. No problem whatsoever. They do two free dives a day. Deep (we went to 25m) at 9am and then the shallow one (9-10m) with all the newbies from their course at 10:30am. Shallow dive was more colourful but the visibility was bad because of the newbies. I only did one deep dive because there really wasn't as much to see. They also have a wreck dive that you have to pay for and I believe a night dive is possible too.

The diving was just one more extra that made our Sandals vacation so great that we are going back next year.

Betty

Thanks, Betty, good to know. Seems they keep the same procedures as the rest of their Caribbean locations, then, because that sounds identical to the way they ran things in Jamaica.

I stayed at a Sandals in St. Lucia several years ago and did their diving program. I think you were limited to one 2-tank dive a day. The sites were not bad. The dive operation is okay but they weren't as thorough as other dive operations I've been with. It was a good time and some good diving but if you were looking to get in 4 dives a day and perhaps a night dive you will need to book something else.

Well I worked for the sandals diving center since the hotel was open per for 4 years as a diving instructor. I m not there any more but I can give u all the tips u need, you do can go and dive with your padi or any other license. For dose that are not certificate there is free pool lessons 3 days a week, and u can also get your license there. Beginners do 1 dive per day at 10;30am and certificated divers can do 2 dives first one at 9am max deft 30m and second at 10;30am.if anybody need to know more just write me to tranqua@yahoo.com

Back
Top Bottom