us divers monitor 3 battery replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amijri

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I really like this unit and hate to part with it. The 4th battery replacement is now dead and Scuba Pro will no longer service this model. I am quite handy on repairs and if I knew how to open the unit I would replace the battery myself, nothing to lose since unit is now dead. Does anyone know how to open the Moniter 3?

Isn't the monitor 3 and airX clone?

If it is, this page might be of assistance.
mkotva.cz/UW_comp/AAir_x_open.htm
Good luck.

edit.... It seems that since I have made less than 5 posts, I am not authorized to past urls in to my posts. Very silly rule! :shakehead:

You will need to fill in the blanks with the part url pasted above

Isn't the monitor 3 and airX clone?

If it is, this page might be of assistance.
mkotva.cz/UW_comp/AAir_x_open.htm
Good luck.

edit.... It seems that since I have made less than 5 posts, I am not authorized to past urls in to my posts. Very silly rule! :shakehead:

You will need to fill in the blanks with the part url pasted above
The airx case is quite different even though I believe internals are same as moniter 3. I had previously looked at the site you directed me to and it was of no help. Thanks for your input

Is the battery case cover glued on with epoxy the same as the AirX?
If so, I would think the procedure for replacement would be the same. Epoxy looses a lot of of strength when heated.

Here is a pdf manual of your computer in case you don't have it.

aqualung.com/technical_library/m3manualb.pdf

I think the case probably is sealed with an epoxy or cured urethane. In any case since the housing is so different in design from the uwatec air x, I think it would be wise to practice opening the case on a worn out moniter 3 if I can locate one. I posted a want to buy ad for a moniter 3 in the classifieds, now I wait. Thanks again for your input.

The deal with the Monitor 3 is the same as the older 2+. That is, if you completely lose power, the internal chip loses its memory and has to be restarted with a computer connection.

Uwatec did this to keep "unqualified" individuals from changing their own battery (like they were able to do with the M1 and M2).

If there's still any battery life left, you can set up a parallel circuit and then swap the battery, but if the system completely loses juice, your in bad shape.

There is a website with instructions for how to reset your computer if it does lose power by constructing your own reset device. I will search for it and reply back.

As to the battery, it's really quite simple to replace. If you don't disturb the potting compound used to seal the rest of the computer, you can use silicone to fill in around the battery. However, you'll want to look for dielectric potting compound if you're going to be replacing any of the stuff over the circuitboard or other electronic items.

Alright, after burning some billable hours :wink: I re-found the website (gotta remember to bookmark these when I run across them :D ).

It is at Aladin-Interface

For the M3, you will probably want to go ahead and make version 2.

If you go this route, PLEASE give us updates (with photos, if you can)! That would be a great DIY project.

I don't know if any of you are still looking, but I have my wife's old Monitor3. PM me if anyone is interested.

The screen is bleeding to black, but the computer is still functioning. We kept it as a backup since the psi numerals were the first to go. Now it's pretty useless as too much of the screen is obliterated. The strap is in good shape as it had been replaced once and been mostly in storage for a couple years.

yes, I am still interested in obtaining a used up moniter 3. I am willing to pay $15 plus shipping costs for a unit to be used as a guinea pig for developing a battery replacement procedure. If this would be ok with you please send me a message so I can arrange payment method.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom