Marine conservation dive holiday experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Louie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello fellow conservation enthusiasts,

I have been asked by people about good diving/conservation holidays for laypeople (those with little or no background in marine biology, scientific surveys etc).

This could include cleanups, surveys and helping out local communites and anything else to further conservation or enhance the marine environment.

If you have taken part with a programme or know of organisations who run worthwhile conservation-orientated holidays, please share. There is a large number of students, people looking for vacations with a purpose and those who just want to get away and do their part.

Thanks

On a similar note the NRDC is asking anyone who goes to a beach to report the beach conditions. It's a neat outreach project. onearth.org/beaches

Earlier this year I did a project with GVI in mexico. The have several options, I did 10 weeks and it was a great time. I learned a lot about coral and data collection for it. There were also groups doing fish as well. If anyone wants a more information about my experience let me know, I would be glad to share.

Hi there
I'm just about to leave for mexico for a 6 month internship with gvi - any info about your experience would be really welcome.
Cheers

I sent you a PM

I have heard of coral cay, a couple of our staff had been through projects with them. The company I went through also can take you up through Divemaster If you are there for ten weeks.

I went on an awesome break earlier this year in oman a company called biosphere expeditions. It's a 1 week liveboard project collecting data for Reefcheck and local scientific studies, aimed at qualified divers but non-scientists. had a brilliant time - well organised - great people - beautiful coral - am still depressed to be back and it was over a month ago now!! I think they do a similar 2 week one in Honduras as well. happy to chat more if anyone wants to know more.

Hi guys, this is my first post! :D

I have recentley done the GVI Seychelles marine conservation project. You can do 5 or 10 weeks, I did 10. You need to do 10 really, because there is alot of training to begin with.

Our "phase" did coral recruiment and invertebrates, the next phase will do fish surveys.

Seychelles is a beatifull place. The reefs have been hit very hard by the mass bleaching of 98,2002,2003. The granitic reefs have the best recovery, maybe because the grantite offers a more solid base and less algae coverage so the new corals can recruit easier? I have dived the Red sea twice and Sulawesi twice too, so have been spoilt by near pristine and pristine, colourfull reefs. The Seychelles does still have some big stuff around, but those numbers are going down fast. We saw white tip reef sharks on some dives. many many rays, lots of eagle rays and devil rays. Quite alot of hawksbill turtles, which we monitored, we used to do turtle walks, i was lucky enough to watch one dig it's pit and lay her egggs, then return to the ocean.

The Seychelles is very expensive, everything is geared towards 5 star hotels. Bloody 5 star hotels...that's another story!:shakehead: They have a huge inflation problem at the moment too. I ended up spending over double what I had budgeted for. There isnt a great deal of culture and not much to do on land either, unless you like sitting on stunning beaches all day. They do have some forest but it's not like proper rainforest, not like I have experienced in Sulawesi.

The GVI thing is very good. You learn alot. Although I knew alot of the coral's already because I own a reef tank and propogate hard corals. Many people came away with a much greater understanding of the marine environment and the perils it faces. You do have to work, but not that much. Fill tanks,cook your own food,camp cleans,turtle walks etc. It's certainly not hard work though.

I was out there for 11 weeks and had an amazing time. Some of the diving was really great, like the 3rd dive i did out there we saw 6 large Grey reef sharks, they swam around us for 10 mins, we also saw eagle rays and giant trevally on that dive. And I made some really great friends from all around the world. We sure did have fun! :cool2:

If anyone has any questions I will gladly try and answer them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom