TR Negros Dive Safari - Apo Island Leg Aug 20-25, 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Izel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I had the best time on our dive safari on August 20 - 25, 2009. We decided to concentrate on Apo Island and Siquijor. Travel to Balicasag would mean 4 hours stuck on the boat instead of breathing O2 underwater. We shelved Balicasay for next time. Another great excuse to go down south!!!

Please click on the link for my trip report.

Philippine SCUBA Forum - The Negros Dive Safari Apo Island Leg or read on the modified post below:

"What happened yesterday is history" - J.A. de Veyra. But the dive safari in Apo Island and Siquijor is one I will always be fond of remembering. Why?

Top 3 things:
1. Pristine dive sites and exciting marine life (this is an understatement). On all Apo dives, visibility was superb. The corals are as pristine as it can ever be. I lost interest on the little things :eek:. You just want to take in the view, as much of it as possible. Siquijor viz is even better. Corals are not as perfect as Apo but the weird and wonderful marine life has more than made up for it.

2. My dive buddies were top-notch! Matthew, Bobot, Omar and Charrie are my new BFFs. I enjoyed every single dive because everybody was relaxed, responsible and respectful (of their dive buddies and marine environment). 110% worry-free dives, man! :cool:

3. I saw my old friends in Siquijor Dive Safari dive shop (SDS). They are all well and swell as ever. Their hospitality is unparalleled. Iba talaga (Please see contact details below)!

We booked the tickets months before and we hoped we will be lucky with the weather. And we were! The last typhoon just passed by and the accuweather forecast was in our favor. The land trip to Dauin and the boat ride to Apo Island seem to take forever!

boatride_apo.jpg

The house is not big on aesthetics and we were sharing it with swiflets nesting in the sala. No joke, There is wildlife inside the house. But what the house lacks, the land lady made up for her graciousness and that to-die-for fish stew.

Matt requested, "Yung simple lang muna na dive sites ngayong araw". So, at 1:00 pm, after taking lunch and a power nap, we prepared for the 2 boat dives for the day. And boy, were we surprised! Simple na yun? ;D

map_apo.jpg

1st Dive: Cogon - Mamsa Point
Depth Ave 42 ft Visibility 80 ft
Dept Max 77 ft Water Temp 82F
Dive time In 1:17 pm Bottom Time 45 mins
There was a strong current, strong being "hindi mo na kayang labanan but is still super fun to ride". Ang galing! The soft coral garden is in pastel colors. Saw a red-violet sea cucumber, a hawksbill turtle which I followed and a school of jacks. The Jacks are huge! I noticed they swim in pairs, one takes a silver color and the other one a duller grey color (Or was it just the light?).

corals1.jpg

corals7.jpg

2nd Dive: Sanctuary - Mamsa Point

Depth Ave 40 ft Visibility 80 ft
Dept Max 69 ft Water Temp 82F
Dive time In 2:50 pm Bottom Time 52 mins
The Sanctuary is the site of the "thousand year old coral terraces". Layers upon layers of hard corals, one growing on top of the other.

corals4.jpg

I saw a type of coral that looks like petals of roses in full bloom. There is also a coral that looks like leaves of pine trees. There was a school of barracudas and fusiliers. We saw three turtles - 2 were hawksbill turtle and 1 green sea turtle. I saw a meter-long bumphead parrot fish - the biggest fish I have ever seen. Well, at least until I saw the Giant Silver Trevally the following day (hehehe).

There is no electricity in Apo Island so the night life is out of the question. So, we just watched the sunset with our friends from SDS and picture taking galore. What little electricity we have (6:30 - 9:30 pm only) we dedicated to charging our phones, accounting our expenses and filling up our dive logs. Grabe, simpleng dives, huh?!

August 21, 2009
1st Dive: Coconut Point
Depth Ave 46 ft Visibility 80 - 100 ft
Dept Max 70 ft Water Temp 82F
Dive time In 8:30 am Bottom Time 49 mins
Coconut Point did not disappoint. There was up current and down current. We drift dived after that. We saw an octopus eating a crab, another bumphead more than a meter in length, a school of jacks (3 times bigger than Twin Rocks) swimming slowly against the current. I got to swim with them! We saw a magnificent lone barracuda. Mukhang mamamatay-tao talaga (Solid!). I saw a green sea turtle and a bumphead nagkasalubong. Bismark was asking for my air when he suddenly started pointing like a mad man. When I turned around a giant Silver Trevally was at the back and with lightning speed, ducked under the corals. Ang laki nyang isda!

bismark1.jpg

2nd Dive: Chapel
Depth Ave 41 ft Visibility 100 ft
Dept Max 61 ft Water Temp 82F
Dive time In Bottom Time 52 mins
Just perfect hard and soft corals as far as your eyes can see.

corals5.jpg

12.jpg

corals8.jpg

At one point of the dive I was thinking, "Grabe, di pa rin tapos? when is this going to end?". Saw a hawksbill and green sea turtle - again! Charrie got a close look at one of them.

3rd Dive: Rock Point West
Depth Ave 41 ft Visibility 100 ft
Dept Max 61 ft Water Temp 82F
Dive time In Bottom Time 51 mins
The last dive site did not disappoint. It's famous for a rock / coral formation where turtles park and rest. The coral formation looked worn out. I was thinking it's a place where the turtles rub their shells against to keep it clean. The entire dive is still corals galore! We were swimming against a slight current. Bismark turned serious, pointed to the rock formation, signalled us to stop... signalled turtle...

17-1.jpg

And there it was, perched on top of the corals, a most beautiful green sea turtle. We observed it from a distance.

turtle2.jpg

Its head held up high. So proud! It did not attempt to leave at all. It looked at us like it's asking, "Yes? What? You are all ugly. Stop staring at me, it's rude. You're disturbing my sleep. Now you're creeping me out! That's it, I'm outa here!". It swam to my direction. For a few seconds, I swam (from a safe distance) with it. The feeling was indescribable! ;D

turtle1.jpg

It was only fitting we cap our dives in Apo Island with a mother-of-all-photo-ops at the three-minute safety stop using Omar's super high-tech camera, without which the following poses would not have been captured in history:

gi-omar.jpg

bismark2.jpg

classpic.jpg

Apo Island, we shall return!!!

PS. Siquijor write-up to follow... kala n'yo tapos na, no?! :D

Siquijor Dive Safari
Tubod, San Juan, Siquijor
+63 09215160163
Many thanks to Tata (Dive Operator), Bismark (DM), Rowel (DG) and the rest of the gang for all the help.

Last edited:
Thanks for the report.

Uy...Matt was on this trip, cool!

Yeah, saw his photos.

thanks for the trip report! :D will forward this to a friend who's thinking of going to negros in december

"bff matt"???? xoxo! :rofl3:

nice report, Izel.
what was your transportation you took to get there? would appreciate your valuable info.
cheers.

What a great read! Makes me super excited about going there in November. Looking forward to your next report!

nice report, Izel.
what was your transportation you took to get there? would appreciate your valuable info.
cheers.

Thank you! Glad you like it. :cool2:

The transpo we took were the following:
1. Manila - Dumaguete Philippine Airlines (PAL) 7:00 am ETD, 8:05 am ATA
We got our tickets on promo for 1,650 round trip

2. Dumaguete to Dauin - land trip for 1 - 1.5 hours depending on the traffic.
We rented a jeepney for 250.00 only which our dive operator (SDS) arranged for us and is already waiting in the airport when we arrived.

3. Dauin - Apo Island - boat ride for 30 mins - 1 hour depending on how flat the water is.
We rode the boat that we will use on the dives for the day. Our dive operator arranged this also. They were waiting for us in Dauin already.

4. Dives in Apo Island - care of Siquijor Dive Safari dive shop

5. Apo Island - Siquijor - boat ride 1.5 hours
We used a bigger boat on the 2nd day mainly for this purpose care of SDS.

6. Siquijor to Dumaguete - fast craft 1.5 to 2 hours for P165.00 per person
WE rode Delta Fast Ferry 12 nn. I would prefer the Ocean Jet fast craft but there is only 1 trip at 7:00 am. It's faster and newer craft.

7. Dumaguete - Manila - PAL etd at 4:30 pm, 5:30 eta in Manila.

Let me know if you need other information. I'll be happy to help!!! :)

Regards,
Gi

thanks for the trip report! :D will forward this to a friend who's thinking of going to negros in december

"bff matt"???? xoxo! :rofl3:

Iris, LOL, Matt's going to really laugh at your comment!!! Alaskado na naman sya. :D

What a great read! Makes me super excited about going there in November. Looking forward to your next report!

Thank you! I'm glad you liked it. I appreciate all your comments. I'm going back also. Hopefully in December. :eyebrow:

Regards,
Gi

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom