I know what this is, Do you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:lol:

What ever gave you the idea that the Northern states did not have slaves? When Lincoln freed the slaves during the emancipation proclimation, he only freed the slaves in the rebellious states. The slaves in the Northern states were still property of slave owners for quite a while after that.

Quote from the document:

"all persons held as slaves within any States, or designated part of the State, the people whereof shall be in rebellion against the United States, shall be then, thenceforward, and forever free."

Is it a logger's tool for dragging timbers? or a Raft Shackle?

I'm with HowardE, the spikes were pounded into the ends of floating logs connecting them together to form a raft.

What ever gave you the idea that the Northern states did not have slaves? When Lincoln freed the slaves during the emancipation proclimation, he only freed the slaves in the rebellious states. The slaves in the Northern states were still property of slave owners for quite a while after that.

Quote from the document:

"all persons held as slaves within any States, or designated part of the State, the people whereof shall be in rebellion against the United States, shall be then, thenceforward, and forever free."

It's another one of those Northern myths, circulated by the same folks who circulate "facts" on the internet.

There is no question that it is a log shackle. However, what are you going to do with it now that you have brought it up. Dried out in the air it will turn to rust flakes in no time unless it is treated. It needs to be reverse electrolyzed and boiled in parafin.

looks like some mythbustes' contraption :thinking:

I agree that it looks like the spikes used to hook together the outside logs on a large "raft" of floating timber. By creating a border or boundary of tethered logs, they were able to move a large number at one time. I one bought some lumber that was milled from wood that "escaped" and sunk and was recovered from the mud years and years later. Just my 2 cents worth. Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom