Pony Attachment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are not refering to carrying it underarm, are you?

If he's not he should be. (but he is)

As far as a quick disconnect that you can operate with one hand behind your back, remove a 19cft pony and "hand it off" to a distressed diver?

The best real world experience you are going to get is to not do this in the first place.

I use a Tiger Mount kit.

tigergearcomplete.jpg

tigergearpony03.jpg

As seen on this site:

Tiger Gear

I got mine from my LDS. While the pictures show you use hose clamps to attach it to your tank,y ou mount it on your tank straps instead so it isn't "tank" dependent.

Don't forget to put it where you can reach the disconnect clips to remove it.

You don't want the best way to carry a pony. So it really does not matter which of the many other options you choose. You will eventually discover the error and correct it.

Why doesn't he want the best way to carry a pony?

Why doesn't he want the best way to carry a pony?

Because so far the suggestions he has to do what he wants to do include either having to remove his BC, independant doubles or having to pull at least one (in in the other case two) aircraft pins (behind him) just to get the thing removed from his gear.

All that while his buddy is freaking out.

Only time I want to see the pony is when I need to use it.

That's one option. Some others prefer to be able to see the pony so they can tell if it has freeflowed or otherwise lost gas in some other way during the dive. Back mounted you are most likely diving valve on and you cannot read the SPG. Sucks to hand off an empty cylinder.

If for whatever reason I have to remove the pony from my back (under depth). The dive is OVER! Next stop is the surface. So there is NO need to remount it. Only reason for removal at depth is to hand it off to a buddy.

Great. So you've just handed off your pony to an OOA buddy and you both immediately surface only to find a lengthy surface swim awaits you. Which one does it while holding the pony?

I think some people are trying to give you some "real world" advice. Up here using ponies is quite common and most of us sling them with no problems. The few who backmount seem to have no intention of handing it off.

Am I missing something, or is there some reason this guy does not want to sling a pony like any other smart person would. :D

Yeah, he has some pre-concieved notions that a slung pony would be difficult, or in the way of his dive. He hasn't given thought to portability and use at differing dive locations, entanglement hazards, hose routing, and real-world use.

Sling it!

Back
Top Bottom