zuiko 9-18mm and PTEO5 port

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wouldn't you end up with some ridiculus amount of corner distortion at 9mm if using it behind a flat port...

I get the best results with the Athena 100mm domeport; this seems to follow the curve of the 9-18 lens.
Inon domeport with PER E01 extension is acceptable, but the 9-18 in the flatport is not my thing.......

grtzzzz,

Rob

Sorry for the overdose of ugly :D I went through my pool photos with the 9-18mm inside the standard flat port and there really wasn't any good shots to determine corner sharpness. Not that I would have a dome to compare it against anyway but here's a self portrait. I would say that the worst would be losing a few degrees on the overall angle. Anyway, here's my self portrait where I was trying to see what kind of settings would be best for a sunburst.

Attachments

• 9-18 pool test sunburst small.jpg
    9-18 pool test sunburst small.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 98
Sorry for the overdose of ugly :D I went through my pool photos with the 9-18mm inside the standard flat port and there really wasn't any good shots to determine corner sharpness. Not that I would have a dome to compare it against anyway but here's a self portrait. I would say that the worst would be losing a few degrees on the overall angle. Anyway, here's my self portrait where I was trying to see what kind of settings would be best for a sunburst.

Gues there's a reason why we all stay BEHIND the camera most of the time and NOT in front of it ;-) Atleast I do... ;-)

I stand corrected, there wasn't much visible distortion in this picture. And it was taken at 9mm?

/Mr_Pyro

I stand corrected, there wasn't much visible distortion in this picture. And it was taken at 9mm?

Yes. Even though I found a way to make the normal zoom ring for the 14-42mm work, I hardly ever took it off 9mm when I was dinking around in the pool. I suspect it will be that way diving as well. It would be tough to tell about corner sharpness from the photo I posted. I might have to get back in the pool and do a more scientific test.

Some more pictures with the 9-18 inside the Athena small dome port. The only problems I've had are the lens's poor low light focusing ability. That can be a bit of a problem in our often dark waters in CA. These pictures were taken with unusually good visibility and bright conditions.

Farnsworth Banks 11-17-09 pictures by bmchugh_photo - Photobucket

Brian

Yes. Even though I found a way to make the normal zoom ring for the 14-42mm work, I hardly ever took it off 9mm when I was dinking around in the pool. I suspect it will be that way diving as well. It would be tough to tell about corner sharpness from the photo I posted. I might have to get back in the pool and do a more scientific test.

that's interesting Gary. I am amazed at the quality out of a flat port. The extra $1000 in your sky rocket is not bad either!

Looking forward to some shots taken in anger?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom