Pelican Tank Rack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nozrydr1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, Divers/Boaters Etc. I'm new to forums, I have a question for anyone who can help. I just bought a Pelican Rack for my scuba tanks. Looks like it will work fine on my boat. My Question, how the heck do you install the "anti rattle sleeves" on the rack. I've tried everything I can think of, any ideas? If you have a Pelican rack you'll know what I'm talking about. Thanks much for any ideas. Be Safe.

Not sure what the Pelican rack is, can you post a picture?

I'm in the process of outfitting my new 22' center console with some tank ranks, and I'm looking for ideas.

I bought the 4 tank rack, they also make a 6 tanks. I can't figure out how to post a photo yet, but divers-supply.com has the best prices I've found for Pelican racks.

have no fear folks. I have one and I can tell you how to do it. Put a big cup of water in micro wave and heat the water to almost a boil. Remove it from the micro and put the plactic tubes in the water. They will soften up and then start putting them on Good luck

Unless they have radically changed the way they make these racks for saltwater use in the past few decades, after a few months, you will discover that you have purchased a piece of rusting junk. Nice idea made from steel that rusts through the easily chipped plastic. Best of luck with it.

Got them on thanks to George W. I've tried the boiling water the other day, but I guess I didn't work hard enough at it. This time I let them boil for about 15 mins. Put a knitting needle in the tube, pried open one end forcing about 1/2" of sleeve onto the rack, while squeezing very hard pulling the sleeve towards the rack and rotating the sleeve it would finally go on. Thanks to George W I did get them all on, but next time, I'll just buy some clear gas line, cut to fit and split it.
Thanks again.

Haven't tried 8" yet, but the advertisement states they'll fit an 8" tank without a boot. But luckily all my tanks and my two sons have 80' aluminum tanks. 7.25" so we're good there. I'm pretty sure they won't hold a tank with b.c. attached, but I guess I can live with that for now.

Unless they have radically changed the way they make these racks for saltwater use in the past few decades, after a few months, you will discover that you have purchased a piece of rusting junk. Nice idea made from steel that rusts through the easily chipped plastic. Best of luck with it.

Maybe if kept on a boat constantly in salt water but I have 30 year old racks that are fine. Rinsed with the gear after a dive and stored off the boat.

I run 3 to 4 racks on my boat depending on the number of divers. First thing to do is weave some anchor rope in and out of wire on the bottom. This will keep it from marking up your boat floor or truck bed. If you dive aluminum 80s, they will rattle like crazy is choppy seas. A cheap and easy fix for this is to shove those swimming pool "noodles" in between the tanks, works perfect. AL 100s fit tight and do not rattle.

Back
Top Bottom