New fast craft for Bohol to Camiguin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
For those looking to dive Camiguin Island, Mindanao from Bohol, Paras Sea Cat has initiated fast craft non-stop service from Jagna, Bohol to Camiguin three days a week.

MORE INFO HERE

Jagna is about a one hour road trip from Tagbilaran City with buses leaving from the old bus terminal near ICM Mall. Private transportation is also available.

I spent about a month in Camiguin last July/August and all the times we have seen the Paras Sea Cat leave to Bohol, it had around 10 passengers on board (while the total capacity is around 200).

Even the Camiguin - Cagayan de Oro leg (which gets a lot more passengers) on the Paras Sea Cat is hugely underpopulated. While this is very convenient connection, it seems that 99% of the locals still picks the slower Camiguin-Balingoan-Cagayan route due to the lower cost.

Many years ago, there used to be the Royal Ferry service between Cagayan and Camiguin but that one stopped service after some time. Given the current customer loads on the Paras Sea Cat on all legs, I am afraid that this service will not survive for a very long time either :depressed:

Kris

I spent about a month in Camiguin last July/August and all the times we have seen the Paras Sea Cat leave to Bohol, it had around 10 passengers on board (while the total capacity is around 200).

Even the Camiguin - Cagayan de Oro leg (which gets a lot more passengers) on the Paras Sea Cat is hugely underpopulated. While this is very convenient connection, it seems that 99% of the locals still picks the slower Camiguin-Balingoan-Cagayan route due to the lower cost.

Many years ago, there used to be the Royal Ferry service between Cagayan and Camiguin but that one stopped service after some time. Given the current customer loads on the Paras Sea Cat on all legs, I am afraid that this service will not survive for a very long time either :depressed:

Kris

Probably will be the case.
I'll get to check it out next week when I go to Camiguin for a week.

Hey Gilligan!

Let us know how it goes!

I want to visit Camiguin on one of our future PI trips.

Out of curiousity where are you in Hawaii. I live with my girlfriend in HNL.

Always good to meet another Hawaii/Philippines dive enthusiast!
Aloha

Jason

What are the flight options for this journey plaese?

Many are put off ferry travel in the PI's at the moment due to recent disasters and percieved/actual safety concerns.

Also, lack of accountability by operators/the Philippine Coastguard.

Thanks

By the way, we have been on ferries with severe oveloading WITH Philippine Coastguard boarding and counting numbers AND - though overloaded- allowing the ferry to continue its journey.

We strongly advise that tourists fly to destinations wherever possible until sea travel is made safe.

The laws are good, but officials tasked with implementing the same are not.

You can check all ferry disasters in PI's for confirmation of this.

Last edited:
Paras seacat Ferry from jagna (Bohol) to Camiguin 3 x per week, wed , fri and sunday leaving at 1.30 pm

Nice to see that you are making this trip. I remember it was one you were looking forward to. I would be curious to know what you think of the area.

What are the flight options for this journey plaese?

Seair stopped flying from Cebu to Camiguin last year, which means that at the moment your only option to reach Camiguin is via sea.

I heard rumors a couple of months ago that Cebu Pacific would be interested to start flying to Camiguin and that there are plans to extend the runway, allowing larger aircraft to make the trip. This could give a great boost for Camiguin, but I am not sure how much truth there is in this.

So for now to reach Camiguin:

1) From Cagayan de Oro with the Paras Sea Cat (daily) - takes 2 hours
2) From Jagna, Bohol:
a. Paras Sea Cat (3 times weekly) - takes 2 hours
b. Super Shuttle Ferry (daily) - takes around 4 hours
3) From Baligoan: +/- hourly ferry trips - takes 1 hour
Balingoan can be reached by bus from Cagayan de Oro or Butuan (+/- 1,5 hour by bus)

Kris

Hey Gilligan!

Let us know how it goes!

I want to visit Camiguin on one of our future PI trips.

Out of curiousity where are you in Hawaii. I live with my girlfriend in HNL.

Always good to meet another Hawaii/Philippines dive enthusiast!
Aloha

Jason

I live on Maui.

Trip to Camiguin postponed with tropical storm/possible typhoon Parma approaching the Philippines.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom