smelly air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sambolino44

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I did a quick search on this with no results.

I recently experienced something for the first time: a strong smell in the air from my cylinder. It was an aluminum 80 rented from a shop I've never been to before, and the smell was not something I could definitely identify; it smelled like plastic or something. I first noticed it when clearing my mask, exhaling through my nose. I called the dive, and asked my buddy about it, but she didn't notice until I brought it up, and even then it was only like, "I guess I smell something" to her.

When I mentioned it to the other diver in the area, he brushed it off with a quick explanation, "That smell is from the food-grade silicone oil they use in the compressor, and it's harmless. I've been diving on air from that compressor for years with no problem." I didn't bring up the fact that he was very quick to identify and OK the smell, even though he didn't actually smell the air from my cylinder.

I've always heard that scuba air should have no smell whatsoever; that any odor is a sign of trouble.

Now that I'm so sensitive to it, I smelled the air in my own cylinder which was filled at my LDS, and I did detect a very slight amount of the same smell. Not nearly as strong, but the same note; and this was direct from the valve with no regulator.

So now I'm wondering, has that smell been there all along and I just never noticed it? Is it really OK? Am I over-reacting? I mean, it was strong enough to be unpleasant every time I cleared my mask, if nothing else.

What has been your experience with smelly scuba air?

It doesn't matter WHAT oil they're using to lubricate their compressor, if the filters are working properly there shouldn't be enough of it reaching your tank for you to smell it. If there's enough oil that you're getting the smell when you breathe OUT, I'd suspect something's badly amiss at the dive centre that's filling your tanks. Breathing 'food grade silicone oil' will give you just as much of a lung infection as breathing used motor oil...

Grae

Definitely don't breathe that air! Like Grim said, a plastic smell can be that of a filter going bad or needing replaced, or even a compressor failing. It is always better to err on the side of caution. The last thing you need is to pass out at depth from bad air or getting sick later.

Carolyn:shark2:

I did a quick search on this with no results.

I recently experienced something for the first time: a strong smell in the air from my cylinder. It was an aluminum 80 rented from a shop I've never been to before, and the smell was not something I could definitely identify; it smelled like plastic or something. I first noticed it when clearing my mask, exhaling through my nose. I called the dive, and asked my buddy about it, but she didn't notice until I brought it up, and even then it was only like, "I guess I smell something" to her.

I could not smell anything while I had my mask on the face. I smelled it when I sniffed the air directly from the regulator after taking the mask off.

I've always heard that scuba air should have no smell whatsoever; that any odor is a sign of trouble.

So did I!

that I'm so sensitive to it, I smelled the air in my own cylinder which was filled at my LDS, and I did detect a very slight amount of the same smell. Not nearly as strong, but the same note; and this was direct from the valve with no regulator.

So now I'm wondering, has that smell been there all along and I just never noticed it? Is it really OK? Am I over-reacting? I mean, it was strong enough to be unpleasant every time I cleared my mask, if nothing else.

What has been your experience with smelly scuba air?

Now I am worried too that the air that we get locally is somewhat contaminated even if in small amount...

are you sure what you think you smell is not simply 'a lack of smell'.
To me all compressor air (our's is tested regular and science labs use it because it is so clean) but to me, it seems to have a distinct 'flavor' which I believe is caused by the lack of smell. It is truly different than the ambient air we are breathing now.
Though you did mention a 'plastic' smell huh??? hmmm

Could it have been the hose of the reg?

I can say I've never used gas that's odourless. There will always be a slight rubbery taint to the air from the reg. Standing in a compressor room that taint always seems to be around also. After so many dives though, if you found it different that usual it's probably best not to dive it!

It doesn't matter WHAT oil they're using to lubricate their compressor

Yes, it does. Very much so. No compressor is 100% efficient regarding oil contamination, and no filter is 100% efficient at removing oil/moisture from the air. Using the correct oil for any compressor is of the utmost importance. There is always a degree of contamination in compressed breathing air.

If ou can smell it don't use it.

I find that it smells like the rubber hose it's traveling through....

Unless you smell it directly off the cylinder valve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom