Cave Diving is a solo responsibility conducted as a social activity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll respond with the same answer I used in the solo thread:

Cave Diver:
I didn't read your answer, or any of the other responses yet, preferring not to be influenced by other posts.

It means to me, that I am solely responsible for what happens to me when I dive. It's up to me to make sure that I have the skills, the training and the equipment necessary. It's up to me to make sure that I am physically fit enough for the dive and that my equipment is maintained and in good working order. I am responsible for making my own dive plan and in executing that plan.

The social part means that I am doing all of the above with a like minded buddy who is just as capable of doing each of these things on his own. I do not dive with them beyond my abilities because I believe my buddy can keep me safe, rather I dive with him because I'm assured he wont need me to do that either. As part of the socializing, we will go over the plan together, ensure we have what we need as a team and that we understand what each of our roles is during the dive. But if things go awry, each of us if fully capable of executing any or all of the plan by ourselves.

Last edited:
what solo thread? link?

Its the exact same question, but it was originally posted in the solo divers forum. I *believe* it was re-posted here because the solo forum is opt in.

Team sports are Baseball, Football, Hockey, Basketball, Softball you get the idea.
The out come of these sports is determinded by the group.
Solo sports. Sky diving, bowling, fishing, skateboarding, mountain biking, dirtbike riding, most racing, SCUBA DIVING, All of these are done in a social enviornment but 1 person is ultimately responsible for the out come. There are more but no need to list.

Its the exact same question, but it was originally posted in the solo divers forum. I *believe* it was re-posted here because the solo forum is opt in.

Ahhh I see.

I know that I am capable of alot more as a team than I am as an individual. From both mutual diver support (e.g. carrying gas to cover buddies), actual in water support by other helper divers during deco (e.g. if we couldn't carry enough spare gas), and by partnering with boat captains I trust to work with me instead of just doing their thing regardless.

I approach all of my diving, especially cave diving, with a self-sufficient, solo mindset. I don't expect anyone to have to help me out of any situation I may find myself in. However, I won't decline offers to help. I'm also always ready to help anyone else who might need it. A lot of the type of diving I do is best done solo. At the same time, diving is a social activity that I enjoy sharing with others during dives that allow it and after dives that don't.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom