Blue Hole Oct 17th~18th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am in for Friday + Saturday, will bring my son Chris.

This talk of lawn statues got me thinking...... and sure enough out in the back of our shop we have a old two tiered concrete fountain with a little figurine on the top. The top section would make a fun addition to one of the flatter rocks on the humped area down on the bottom.

I'll bring on Sunday, if you guys want to help. I'm thinking the 200# lift bag might be overkill, but it take more than my 70# bag.

I have a couple of 100# and a 50# I've been dying to use. If I come down, they're coming with me and this project would be great fun. I'm in!!! (I'm also joining the hunt for non-toxic statues)

Tiffany and I will pick up a few things... maybe another Sponge Bob. My parents have a big pond in their back yard. I'll check if they have extra fish. They usually do by this time of year.

Wow this is turning out to be a great turn out! I'm looking forward to meeting almost the whole RMO gang. Now if we could find some plastic plants to make a kelp forest that would be cool. BBQ?

Wow this is turning out to be a great turn out! I'm looking forward to meeting almost the whole RMO gang. Now if we could find some plastic plants to make a kelp forest that would be cool. BBQ?

uuugggh....... no plastic plants, please! If the RMOs want to see kelp, they are going to have to join us out in Calif for the real thing. :D

yes, goldfish would be awesome! I wish I knew where to get koi. :confused:

yes, food, but it is probably too early to make a food list. Let's wait until around a week before and get a roster of who is coming.

yes, goldfish would be awesome! I wish I knew where to get koi. :confused:

Koi are over priced gold fish, well at least they are kin to gold fish. I think they are all part of the carp family.

I stocked my pond in NH with 2 dozen gold fish. Over the years they grew to about 8 inches long. The best part, I think I paid 25 cents each at the local pet shop - they were feeders (food for big fish). The only bad part is the gold fish are surface feeders and tend to get eaten by birds if there is no natural vegetation to hide under.

Koi are over priced gold fish, well at least they are kin to gold fish. I think they are all part of the carp family.

I stocked my pond in NH with 2 dozen gold fish. Over the years they grew to about 8 inches long. The best part, I think I paid 25 cents each at the local pet shop - they were feeders (food for big fish). The only bad part is the gold fish are surface feeders and tend to get eaten by birds if there is no natural vegetation to hide under.

last trip to BH, I only saw about 1/2 dozen goldfish. There used to be 2-3 dozen. I am guessing they were lost like described by ABQdiver. It would be nice to restock them. The carp in BH, used to be at least a dozen big guys 12-24" long and greenish with red markings. Last trip I saw only one! I do remember last year seeing 3 dead ones on the bottom, very weird they would die at the same time. My guess is that something in the water killed them or someone did it. Not natural death from old age.

old photo:
BlueHolefish.JPG

Last edited:
OK Robin who are you trying to fool with that pix! :rofl3: Actually cool shot! I remember times with that amount of fish in BH, but not generally grouped at the surface like that. Someone was FEEDING them!

skyhawk133's Dad:
I can stand to get rid of probably 10 gold fish (not the big ones).

Worth it?

Absolutely. You need to measure the temp in the pond, and then fill a cooler with water of approx that temp, or better yet, just fill up the cooler from the pond. It needs to be withing 5 degrees, and less difference is better. Do NOT use chlorinated water!

Fish can stand temp changes, but they can NOT stand fast temp changes. If you go from 70F to 55F for example they will go into shock, and likely die.

When you arrive at the BH, if your water temps are not within a couple degrees of the Hole water you need to attempt to acclimate the fish to the new temps. Not sure the best way to go about this. You could transfer the fish/water to bags, and set them in the Hole I suppose. They key again is slowly vary the temp, assuming that needs to happen.

You could also take your chances, and just dump the whole lot into the Hole, and let nature take it's course. But I think we will see a 1~2 survival rate at BEST, and it may likely be more like 1~5 or not even. GF are pretty hardy however, so maybe we shall be pleasantly surprised! If they have been living in a pond for a while, and don't get too shocked from the transfer, we could have a very high survival rate... one can always hope.

Back
Top Bottom