San Diego Dive Fatality 9-29-09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's always tough to read about someone who makes it to the surface and dies/drowns anyway. Panic and kelp...not a good combination.

Panic without kelp is not a good combination, either.

Well, at least it's not a combination.:wink:

this one is real hard to say,could have taken off gear to get out of something he was stuck in,or his gage was stuck behind him and he couldnt see so he took off bc.

Did the diver have a medical condition, such as diabetes, that might have resulted in altered level of conscousness? If so, might that have contributed to the "fighting" observed by the DM?

Panic is all that is needed to alter your conscousness, the first thing you learn in red cross lifesaving (at least when I took it in 1971) is a drowning person is out of their mind and can kill someone attempting a rescue along with themselves.

Every time I hear of this type of fatality I thank god for the comprehanisve dive training I received for my "basic scuba diver" certification in 1972 which included extensive training in panic control.

IMO it's high time for one of the quality oriented agencies (as opposed to PADI) to develop a "panic proofing" class.

I think it is interesting to note that there is q difference between
divers who are certified in cold water with an instructor present
vs a vacationing diver who was certified in warn water. We don't
have "orientation dives" or even a dive master who dives with you in Calif. but I think it would be a good
idea if more operators offered that for warm water divers.

Posted via Mobile Device

A divemaster is no guarantee for personal safety and can give a false sense of security, as we have seen in numerous accident and incident threads recently.

We would consider California diving to be warm water diving. In Ontario, we regularly dive in 38 F water, even all through the summer. There is of course, ice diving as well, so anything above 50 F is really warm. We do not have instructors or DM's in the water or have guided dives for certified divers. For boat dives, the captain will give a dive briefing, reviewing boat safety protocols and the essentials for that dive site. Certified divers need to be able to plan and execute their dives, be self-reliant, be able to navigate effectively and deal with the extra complications associated with extreme cold water diving.

The availability of Dive Masters or Dive Guides are not the answer for most of the accidents we have read about. In this case, the victim resisted the efforts of the DM that was trying to help him, as we've seen before. Training divers effectively and giving useful detailed dive briefings with important information that people need for diving in a particular area would help a lot.

I just read an updated article that reported that he was indeed out of air.

From: Scuba dive company in fatal accident has history of violations - San Diego, California Talk Radio Station - 760 KFMB AM - 760kfmb

"We are learning new information about the death of an Arizona police officer in a scuba diving accident off Sunset Cliffs this week. News 8 has learned, not only did the victim run out of air, but he was diving with a local scuba company that has a long history of boating violations.

Divers searched for an hour Tuesday before they finally found the body of Daniel Forchione, 46, off Sunset Cliffs in 65 feet of water. His weight belt was still around his waist, according to lifeguards.

Forchione was over weighted and surfaced in a panic when he ran out of air, San Diego lifeguard Lt. Nick Lerma said. "We do know he was out of air and his buoyancy compensator was released. With his over weight and being tangled in the kelp, he sank to the bottom," Lerma told News 8.

Forchione is survived by his wife and 8-month-old daughter.

He was diving off a vessel named the D&D II, one of three boats currently operated by Dive Connections, Inc. out of Mission Bay. News 8 has learned the company was involved in another fatal dive four years ago, while under different management."

Also note that all the articles that stated he was fighting with the DM seem to have been edited and that portion was removed.

I'm glad because I can't see how someone could drop right next to a DM and then have it take an hour to find them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom