Good speargun?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shinobi226

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi i wanted to try spearfishing, but as any beguiner i will probably need information.
I live in Canada, Québec province, almost all their is is small game fish so i was wondering what kind of speargun would be best for small game like trout and fish about that size. I know i want a banded gun, pneumatic will need more servicing. So i am open to suggestion to what would be the best speargun for my particular situation. i tought about paying 300-400$.

I also wanted to know if owning a mask that conceil your eyes to the fish actually does anything.

Last edited:
Hiding your eyes, isn't necessary, but avoiding turning "head on" and focusing on a fish is necessary. Every fish grows up eating or being eaten by bigger fish. And fish don't have a neck, so fear another fish that turns "head on" and looks at them. A diver can turn his head, and avoid pointing their body at the prey. Your whole body position can scare or be ignored by fish.

In choosing a speargun, the first consideration is visibility where you are diving. I dive in fresh water lakes with visibility from 2 feet to 10 feet most of the time and 20 to 30 feet at times. Using the JBL dimensions, their 38 special works well out to 10 feet. With the two bands, If you get the 38 special NW it comes with 3 notches for added power and will allow bigger fish or a couple of feet more reach. If your diving area has 10 to 20 foot visibility you should look at longer guns.

Prices on spearguns will vary by how many guns the manufacturer turns out (automation) and how much hand work is involved. Manufactured guns put a lot of fish on the table. . . Custom guns can get the fish that can "get away" from lesser guns. You can have a lot of fun with the inexpensive guns, and a lot of fun with and pride of ownership with a more expensive gun.

I started spearfishing with pneumatics which are fast reloading. I've had and used 4 different guns, when the manufacturers quit making seals, they were worthless. I got a "woody" 38 special with a 3 notch shaft, changed the bands every year, and I still have it. I wanted better, and for more money got a riffe metal tech. It cost more but was faster, more powerful and turns quicker because of the mid handle.

There are a lot of variables that affect accuracy. But a straight shaft, powered correctly, in a balanced gun, can hit what you aim at. Aiming a speargun does not mean looking down the gun, you can ge hit in the face. Practice shooting the gun to always hold the grip the same way and practice shooting small targets, I shoot a lot of beer cans littering the bottom. You will become familiar with the grip. . . If you are shooting high. . . concentrate on the bottom of the target.
When you have trained your eye/grip you're set to go until you pick up a gun with a different grip, then start over.

The advice above is good. I encourage you to take a hard look at our website which offers factory direct prices to the individual hunter. This link explains some of the benfits of a MAKO railgun. MAKO Spearguns - Why Railguns Are Superior

You will be pleasantly surprised that you do NOT have to pay $400 or even $300 for a high quality speargun! For low visibility, you would probably be looking for a relatively short gun of 75 to 80 cm which will cost less than $200. I'm not sure of what visibility you expect, so it is hard to recommend a particular barrel length.

We offer a number of options and will custom builld the gun to your specifications with respect to the number of bands, muzzle (open or closed), barrel color and of course length. We offer a full range of spearing and diving items as well. Our FREE, 4-month extended payment plan available for direct phone orders is tough to beat.

If you have any questions, please send me a pm

Great that was all excelent information. I think i will need to go dive a few spots that i intend to hunt in, to verify the visibility, before acquiring a gun that can shoot farther that i can see :) Since i will mostly dive the cold lake and the St-laurent river, The visibility on the dives i have done so far here was from 10 to 20 feets

Last edited:
hi.

are you french if so.

there a site in quebec call freedive quebec.

a few member there that do hunt in the belle province including me..frome gatineau.

see you there.

joco.ho by the way forget about trout..illigal in quebec frome speargun but you could scuba fish them if you want..:cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom