oxycheq mach V questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So the photo on the Oxycheq site must be outdated. I'm considering the Mach5 Signature 30 for a Freedom plate and when available information is confounding me.

Pete

The center panel on the wing is so narrow and the slots so fine, in most phots they cannot be seen because of the "roll control" pillows.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 130
  • wingplate 005.JPG
    wingplate 005.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 112
  • wingplate 001.JPG
    wingplate 001.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 120
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 105
Yes I think we are talking about the same hose. Mine came with a 13 inch hose. It was very small for me and kept dangling behind my back. Every time I had to inflate or deflate the BCD I had to reach behind my back and grab the hose. It was too short to hang in front of my shoulder. I also have wider than average shoulder which makes it more difficult to reach the 13 inch inflator behind me. It feels like you are trying to scratch your own back and cant reach the itch spot (know what I mean?)

As for me dumping the weight, I don't remember if the tank was full but yes that could be a possiblity. I remember after busting my BCD having to struggle just a bit to stay neutral at 16 feet. Every time I exhaled I would start to sink. Then, I remember debating whether to drop the weight. Once safety stop was done, I dropped the weight and just regular breathing caused me to ascend gradually. Once at the surface I did not have problems swimming to the boat. I think your analysis is correct that the tank had enough air in it to cause the negative buoyancy effect. Not too much but I do remember sinking slowly from the safety stop every time I exhaled. I wish my memory served me better though.

You would have a much better experience if you had sombody to guide you rather than trying to learn this stuff on line. Have you adjusted the plate properly? Bent d-rings facing the correct way? etc.
Here is the way to deal with your inflator hose. It is basic to have everything tight and close at hand.

Note the bike tube on the corrugated hose as well. (the ends of the bungee need to be melted)
The bungee simply slides behind the loop at the belt slide. If you chose to, you could unthread the harness and install a large o-ring.

Edit: The bolt snap in the pic BTW has nothing to do with the inflator. That is attached to a light.

Attachments

• inflator 001.jpg
    inflator 001.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 152
FYI:

The 30# vs. the 18# Which IMO is the greatest thing since canned fruit.

Attachments

• MacV 18# 001.jpg
    MacV 18# 001.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 135
  • MacV 18# 002.jpg
    MacV 18# 002.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 118
  • MacV 18# 003.jpg
    MacV 18# 003.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 122
  • MacV 18# 004.JPG
    MacV 18# 004.JPG
    282.6 KB · Views: 108
  • MacV 18# 005.jpg
    MacV 18# 005.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 103
Splitlip

Thanks for the photos. Between the black photos and vague descriptions I often wonder what gear makers are thinking when building Websites. Its frustrating when I can't visit the LDS to examine an item before buying. This was helpful.

Pete

You would have a much better experience if you had sombody to guide you rather than trying to learn this stuff on line. Have you adjusted the plate properly? Bent d-rings facing the correct way? etc.
Here is the way to deal with your inflator hose. It is basic to have everything tight and close at hand.

Note the bike tube on the corrugated hose as well. (the ends of the bungee need to be melted)
The bungee simply slides behind the loop at the belt slide. If you chose to, you could unthread the harness and install a large o-ring.

Edit: The bolt snap in the pic BTW has nothing to do with the inflator. That is attached to a light.

Thanks a lot for this brother. This makes more sense. I will try this configuration next time.

Thanks a lot for this brother. This makes more sense. I will try this configuration next time.

It will make a world of difference.

Just the LP hose behind the bungee. Not the corrugated hose.

OxyCheq makes the inflator hose in 16" and 19" lengths as well as the standard 13" one. I personally don't like the 13" hose that my Mach V came with as I have a hard time watching the computer on my wrist while I surface if I hold the dump button in the same hand.

I ordered a 19" hose and secured it to a D-Ring on my left chest strap with bungee cord. I also had a problem with the 13" hose riding up over my left shoulder when I put my plate and wing on. I had to get my dive buddy to flip it over into position. the 19" bungee "corded" modification eliminates that problem as well.

I realize that some folks like the shorter hose and if it works for them...great. I didn't care for it and am glad that OxyCheq give me choices.

Last edited:
LOL. I have more corrugated hoses than Carter has lift bags! PM me next time.:)

On a serious note: The "Halcyon" 13" hoses have more "stretch" than the others. I have one in 16" in the closet that thinks it's a 19" hose.

You can see the diff in 3 of 5 in post 33.

The black wing has a Halcyon 13 " hose. The Red a DR.

It will make a world of difference.

Just the LP hose behind the bungee. Not the corrugated hose.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but why not the corrugated hose? I have always put both behind the bungee. Cheers

Sorry if this is a stupid question but why not the corrugated hose? I have always put both behind the bungee. Cheers

A few reasons:
1. If the bungee is loose enough to slide the lp hose, corrugated hose and inflator behind, it might be loose enough to lose it too. With the bungee loop between the two hoses your inflator is locked in place, no matter what.

2. Set up is easier. Little hose only slipped behind the bungee and then connected to inflator.

3. Maybe just me in this one, I use a 13" hose, and I seem to get more reach. Try it dry and you might see what I mean. If you look at the "sausage" video Mark posted, You'll see what I mean when I dump gas from a "vertical position while finning". My technique aside, you can see how High I lift the inflator on the shorter hose.

Back
Top Bottom