Oceanic VEO180 or some inexpensive computer.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks!
I dont understand their numbering system. Seems like a 200 would be newer than a 180. One of my questions to the Oceanic rep is how old is the veo 100 and how old is the 180-? I didnt even know that they had made a 200!

I have 2 180s and a 250, the 180s store a incredible amount of dives. The 250 is easy to navigate through the screens because the 2 buttons one in the front and one on the side. I have a friend who has a 100, and it is air only and you cannot download the dive data from it, even though it has the port .

My friend liked my 180 so much we got him a used one. The choices you are making are solid. If you want to add a compass to the console, just buy the right compass and pop out the plug and pop the compass back in. You might get better prices by installing your own compass.

Good luck.

Joe

I too am looking at the Oceanic Veo 180 Wrist Computer but as an instructor... I have read about this unit as well as the information posed and responded to and like what I am seeing... Please correct me if I am off base but this seems to be a computer that lends itself to instruction while at the same time giving the diver all of the tools necessary to dive in a safe fashion using both air and NITROX... so you veterans and novices alike what do you say?

I own and like my Veo 180- it is simple, reliable and easy to set for air or different nitrox blends. Gives all the needed information including no-deco limits, remaining bottom time, elapsed bottom time, temp, max depth, PO2 limits (for nitrox use), etc. Stores plenty of dives, at least long enough for me to eventually catch up my log book.

Only things to caution about: 1.) It is a 1 button computer, so while simple, means you have to scroll through everything to get to what you need- it's not a lot, but you also have to get used to what screen shows what. Like any computer, you have to actually read the manual and familiarize yourself with it to navigate it efficiently. Not hard, but it takes the initial time. and 2.) You just need to realize it is a fairly liberal algorithm, so don't push it's limits and dive it conservatively. On an identical dive with a buddy with a Suunto (which I believe are extremely conservative) the NDL times are significant. Just be aware.

And my final advice is to definitely get either this or some other computer with nitrox abilities. You don't have to use it, but you probably eventually will. I have a great old Oceanic Datamax that works like a champ and is tough as nails, but I almost never use it because it is air only.

Good luck!

I too am looking at the Oceanic Veo 180 Wrist Computer but as an instructor... I have read about this unit as well as the information posed and responded to and like what I am seeing... Please correct me if I am off base but this seems to be a computer that lends itself to instruction while at the same time giving the diver all of the tools necessary to dive in a safe fashion using both air and NITROX... so you veterans and novices alike what do you say?

I like the 180NX, it's served me and my wife very weel, I liked it so well that when a friend had a 250 up for sale I grabed it and moved my son onto the 180. Nice large letters, you can see it well underwater. Nice backlight feature, just about all my friends have Oceanics and different models 100 through 250's All of us love them and share the information easy. I'd say it is a fairly easy computer to teach on.

I started with a VEO 250 and it's served me well--it can function in gauge mode and goes along as a backup on trips. An advantage of the 180 and its single button is that you can get it into a DSS bungee mount, which I can't do with the 250.

i'm looking at the 180 and 250 as potential options, with price being about $50 different (180 new, 250 used). any advice about what i'm getting on the 250 that makes it worth spending more for a used computer?? it looks like the biggest difference is audible alarms and flexible sampling rates.

i'm a fairly new recreational diver (just over 20 dives), looking to go out a couple of times a year with a trip coming up in the keys next month...

The 180 is discontinued. If buying online, make sure it is an authorized dealer for the new 180 so you have warranty. Your present choices unless it is a left over 180 is the Veo 100NX or the Veo 250 in the Oceanic line. If you are buying used, none of this will apply.

I programmed a 180 last week for a diver, I forgot what a pain it was w/ the 1 button and having to go thru the entire menu. Guess I am used to the multi keys.

The 100NX is nitrox compatible which is nice. As for price, you can get a new 100 for the same range as the the left over 180's if you consider that it is new and has warranty. You can't download the dives out of this one, limited log and no audible alarm which is sometimes a drawback to divers.

The 250 isn't much more if you want to upgrade and has the download feature, alarms, changeable dive mode displays along w/ a few extra programing options.

I just found the Aeris XR1 for $200.00, same price as the VEO 180.

The store says Aeris XR1, not Aeris XR1NX so this one may not be nitrox compatable.

The Aeris XR1 has exactly the same features (less the "Too Fast" symbol) of the Oceanic Veo 100.
The XR-1 does NOT support Nitrox.

Do you REALLY need a Nitrox capable computer now?

AM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom