Snorkeling for a Non-Swimmer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

josio

New
Reaction score
What is the best floatation device to use for a non-swimmer when snorkeling? I am debating whether to get a snorkel vest, water ski belt or a lifejacket. Not planning to go out too deep.

Does "non-swimmer" mean that you CAN swim but not that well, or that you can't swim at all? If you can't swim I'd suggest taking swimming lessons first. Accidents can happen when you are not "too deep." Also are you planning on going alone? Or are other people or a qualified rescue person going to be with you? It's hard to suggest gear if there's the potential that you're going to go out and harm yourself.

This situation would make you totally dependant on your gear. Gear can fail/malfunction, even new gear (defective). You need to be able to fall back on your abilities if that happens.

I'd be looking for a BCD of some sort. There's a compromise to be made between a really nice vest and the weight and bulkiness you are going to have to put up with. So, considering only good quality vests (that are going to cost you something), research them all and try to find one that you will be happy to use and, not incidentally, trust your life to. Have fun!

Waitaminute. Wait just one minute! It has often occurred to me that you really do not need to be able to swim at all to enjoy snorkeling. In fact, about a year ago I introduced to snorkeling a friend of mine who, though he works as a fueler on tugs/barges (actually because of that, but never mind), has a serious fear of the water. One could easily, with only the slightest attention to planning, do a world of snorkeling, great snorkeling!, in water that is waist deep or even more shallow. I could get into locations but if I start throwing around words like Tongatapu and Vava'u people will think I'm showing off. Anyway, snorkel in any the zillions of spots where there is waist deep water and you will be happy as a clam.

Last edited:
Don't be like the drowned snorkeler that I helped try to resuscitate on my vacation earlier this year. He apparently had been non-swimmer-snorkeling by wading around in shallow water near the shore, and bending down to watch the fish. He had a wonderful time... for a little while... but followed it up with some time embedded face-down in the sea floor, and a lengthy resuscitation on the beach before the ambulance finally arrived and pronounced him dead. A healthy strong young man who apparently loved the ocean, possibly could swim a little bit, and initially had companions with him... are you sure you'll do better?

Like everyone says: get swimming lessons. Then buy your own mask and snorkel, making sure they fit and don't leak. Then practice in a swimming pool until you're confident using your gear. Even if you're staying on the surface a wave could fill up your snorkel, so you need to be comfortable clearing your snorkel.

Not convinced? Time for the traditional Australian shock&sarcasm form of education...

The snorkel vest that you're planning to buy is a nice start - if things go wrong then your floating body might get found while you're still unconscious and not yet a corpse. Every minute counts! A drowned person floating with a vest isn't automatically saved, of course - see this other recent snorkeling death http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/snorkeling-freediving/293009-snorkeling-death-keys.html. But an added bonus of not burying your face in the seafloor is that your nose won't be completely blocked with sand, so mouth-to-nose will be a possibility. (Important if your rescuers include youngsters and women who have smaller mouths than yours.)

Your rescuers might appreciate it if you tow a flotation device carrying gear they'll need, like a high quality CPR face-mask with a valve, CPR instructions, and a reliable emergency communication device. Without a CPR mask your rescuers' mouths will get full of mucus, bile, foam, water, sand, etc. You might not care about traumatising people, but there's also a selfish reason to provide a mask - if the "breather" keeps stopping to dry-retch it'll throw off the timing of the person doing chest compressions.

Depending where you snorkel it may take hours for emergency services to arrive. Consider including a few long-sleeve shirts and hats so your rescuers don't get sunburnt.

If you're snorkeling off a beach that's covered in sharp coral or rocks it would be polite to include a few foam pads to protect everyone's knees. If you care about your appearance and you're planning a full recovery then you'd better wear a full wetsuit to protect you while we thump your body around on the sharp coral and rocks trying to drain out litres and litres of water (and sand, and jellyfish) to make room for air.

Be thoughtful: plan ahead and setup a trust fund to pay for psychological counseling for anyone involved in your resuscitation. Don't forget a bigger trust fund for your friends - if things go wrong not only will they have to cope with the horror of your corpse, they'll also presumably also wish they had supervised you better.

Alternatively, just go get swimming lessons.

If this post sounds a bit harsh.... that's because drowning is harsh.
If 10 non-swimmers read this thread over the next few years and decide to learn to swim before snorkeling, maybe that's one more corpse avoided. And a bunch of would-be rescuers who don't end up traumatized like me.        The jellyfish. The jellyfish. Before or after? *huddles in corner, rocking*

Obviously I'm joking about bringing stuff for your rescuers. Don't tow stuff around - it would make you even more unsafe.

Don't be like the drowned snorkeler that I helped try to resuscitate on my vacation earlier this year. He apparently had been non-swimmer-snorkeling by wading around in shallow water near the shore, and bending down to watch the fish. He had a wonderful time... for a little while... but followed it up with some time embedded face-down in the sea floor, and a lengthy resuscitation on the beach before the ambulance finally arrived and pronounced him dead. A healthy strong young man who apparently loved the ocean, possibly could swim a little bit, and initially had companions with him... are you sure you'll do better?

Like everyone says: get swimming lessons. Then buy your own mask and snorkel, making sure they fit and don't leak. Then practice in a swimming pool until you're confident using your gear. Even if you're staying on the surface a wave could fill up your snorkel, so you need to be comfortable clearing your snorkel.

Not convinced? Time for the traditional Australian shock&sarcasm form of education...

The snorkel vest that you're planning to buy is a nice start - if things go wrong then your floating body might get found while you're still unconscious and not yet a corpse. Every minute counts! A drowned person floating with a vest isn't automatically saved, of course - see this other recent snorkeling death http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/snorkeling-freediving/293009-snorkeling-death-keys.html. But an added bonus of not burying your face in the seafloor is that your nose won't be completely blocked with sand, so mouth-to-nose will be a possibility. (Important if your rescuers include youngsters and women who have smaller mouths than yours.)

Your rescuers might appreciate it if you tow a flotation device carrying gear they'll need, like a high quality CPR face-mask with a valve, CPR instructions, and a reliable emergency communication device. Without a CPR mask your rescuers' mouths will get full of mucus, bile, foam, water, sand, etc. You might not care about traumatising people, but there's also a selfish reason to provide a mask - if the "breather" keeps stopping to dry-retch it'll throw off the timing of the person doing chest compressions.

Depending where you snorkel it may take hours for emergency services to arrive. Consider including a few long-sleeve shirts and hats so your rescuers don't get sunburnt.

If you're snorkeling off a beach that's covered in sharp coral or rocks it would be polite to include a few foam pads to protect everyone's knees. If you care about your appearance and you're planning a full recovery then you'd better wear a full wetsuit to protect you while we thump your body around on the sharp coral and rocks trying to drain out litres and litres of water (and sand, and jellyfish) to make room for air.

Be thoughtful: plan ahead and setup a trust fund to pay for psychological counseling for anyone involved in your resuscitation. Don't forget a bigger trust fund for your friends - if things go wrong not only will they have to cope with the horror of your corpse, they'll also presumably also wish they had supervised you better.

Alternatively, just go get swimming lessons.

If this post sounds a bit harsh.... that's because drowning is harsh.
If 10 non-swimmers read this thread over the next few years and decide to learn to swim before snorkeling, maybe that's one more corpse avoided. And a bunch of would-be rescuers who don't end up traumatized like me.        The jellyfish. The jellyfish. Before or after? *huddles in corner, rocking*

Obviously I'm joking about bringing stuff for your rescuers. Don't tow stuff around - it would make you even more unsafe.

I like the way you put it. Took the words right out of my mouth. If someone cannot swim- STAY AWAY FROM WATER! Many times lessons are free, easy, convenient, and can save your life. Parents who do not teach kids to swim and allow them near water are guilty of at the least neglect and at most abuse. Adults who cannot swim and refuse to get lessons are lazy, dumb, or both.

What is the best floatation device to use for a non-swimmer when snorkeling? I am debating whether to get a snorkel vest, water ski belt or a lifejacket. Not planning to go out too deep.

The best flotation device for a non-swimmer in deep water is to stay dry and not go into the water in the first-place. Go to the pool and learn to swim first. If you must go into deep water, use an approved life-jacket which is properly sized and tied.

As several other members have pointed out, you need to learn to swim before you go snorkelling, period. To give you a target you should be able to swim at least 200m (600ft) in a swimming pool.
For snorkelling you should use a snorkel vest which fits you; however snorkel vests are not designed to be life vests or to allow those who can't swim to snorkel.
Another thing is it is not enough to be able to float; you have to consider the environmental conditions in open waters such as backrush, surge, currents, rip currents etc. which can pull you seawards, that’s one reason why you should learn to swim. If it’s a strong current or backrush then you may have to swim perpendicular to the stream which in most cases would give you a longer distance to cover.

Gad, what a bloody mob. Not one of you asked the OP why he is a non-swimmer or in what circumstances he would plan to go snorkeling. We have instead, "...Adults who cannot swim and refuse to get lessons are lazy, dumb, or both." and the contempt and fear-mongering of the Aussie's "traditional Australian shock&sarcasm form of education." and then a bunch who have nothing to contribute but "me too." I despair of this place.

Back
Top Bottom