Gear!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kelly,

For LESS then half of your budget, you can buy the NEW oceanic gear listed below. Obviously you don't have to just consider what I am giving you as examples.

Oceanic FDX10 with Delta 4.1 reg MSRP $ 600

http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/p_regulators_delta41.html

Oceanic HERA (woman specific) BCD MSRP $ 600

http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/p_bcs_hera.html

Oceanic Pro Plus 2 Deluxe with quick disconnect and compass MSRP $ 800

http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/p_computers_proplus.html

Congrats on the training. Glad to see you are shopping around for your gear, smart. The internet is a beautiful thing.

it is indeed well enough for 2 sets of gears

but don't spend it all now. driving to a diving location, insurance, filling tanks, ... is also not free of charge.

Kell,

Don't listen to anyone who tells you to buy a backplate/wing if you're not even AOW yet. You need to use a good standard gear configuration that other recreational divers will be familiar with and diving with themselves.

My opinion? Get yourself a nice comfortable BC like a Mares Alikai/Seaquest Pro QD, some Apeks Regs, and a Suunto Vyper 2 (WITHOUT a transmitter!), not to mention a good SOLID mask, not a gimmicky pretty one, and some Mares Fins such as AvantiTre/Quattro. 1600 quid should get you well clear of all that with plenty left over.

Do NOT pay for pretty gimmicks :) They will bite you on the ass.

If you need any help, let me know!

-- Nemo

Kell,

Don't listen to anyone who tells you to buy a backplate/wing if you're not even AOW yet. You need to use a good standard gear configuration that other recreational divers will be familiar with and diving with themselves.

My opinion? Get yourself a nice comfortable BC like a Mares Alikai/Seaquest Pro QD, some Apeks Regs, and a Suunto Vyper 2 (WITHOUT a transmitter!), not to mention a good SOLID mask, not a gimmicky pretty one, and some Mares Fins such as AvantiTre/Quattro. 1600 quid should get you well clear of all that with plenty left over.

Do NOT pay for pretty gimmicks :) They will bite you on the ass.

If you need any help, let me know!

-- Nemo

I have to disagree here. If she wants (or is interested in) a bp/w, there's no reason she should default to buying a "nice comfortable BC" (fwiw, a bp/w can be a nice comfortable BC....I certainly think mine is far more comfortable than the BC I used to dive). If you think you may want to go into diving doubles, a bp/w is pretty much required, so if you buy it first, you don't have to sell later. Think about what kind of diving you want to ultimately do and what features are important to you.

I agree that you should check out all the options and not just blindly choose the one that many people claim is the best....and that goes for all your gear.

But from the sound of it, you have more than enough money to get yourself a nice set-up. I didn't spend as much as you have on my basic gear, so I'm inclined to say that you should have no problem paying for what you want....making the tough decisions on what to get will be a bigger problem for you :D

Im not really interested in the bp/w!
And nooo no ones gunna change my mind haha! Not yet anyways.
Im happy with the good old jacket style bc =] it does the trick :)

Importing stuff fron the US is not really worth it, the exchange rate is not as attractive as it was, you can get stung for import duties and gauges are in Imperial rather than metric (though it's usually easy to change units on computers)

If you intend to dive regularly in the North East and Southern Scotland, you will soon find a 5mm wetsuit is not warm enough. My first purchase would be a drysuit, look at a Seaskin MTM for about £500.

Regulators - any new cold water rated reg will be fine. Divelife had some ATX40s with a 2 gauge console for about £220, phone to se if they have any left.

Any decent BCD will do, as long as it fits well. There are some ladies styled models that can be more comfortable if you are well endowed, but I can't offer any detailed advice on these :wink: You can get some good deals on ebay, and there's not much to go wrong with a BCD. If it fits and holds air than it's ok. Integrated weights can be more comfortable, depending how much weight you need - most can take up to 8 or 10 kg, if you use more than that you'll need to use a weightbelt as well. £300 will get you a good one.

Computer - Suunto Gecko or Vyper, Aladin Prime. All have user replaceable batteries and can be used with Nitrox mixes should you need. £150-£200

Torch. - Tektite Expedition LS5, £100. Bright enough to use as a primary torch, tough enough to last and makes a good backup torch if you ever buy a light sabre.

Theres some money left over out of your £1600 budget, get yourself to St Abbs or Eyemouth and spend it on diving :)

Good call Druid, good so see someone has their finger on the pulse.

Back
Top Bottom