best travel backpack for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Caddy
[Model: divecaddy]
From there web site Dive Caddy - The Worlds Smartest Dive Bag System! FYI if you like it search scubaboard first (a member is selling them):
Dive Caddy designed the Travel Bag to efficiently protect and compress your gear. We also utilize the gear you put in the bag & replace the typical bag stiffeners and padding. Basically, we’ve eliminated what you don’t need and traded for space you do.
The Bag System comes with the Travel Bag, Fin Caddy, Turtle Pack and Spider Bag.

This bag system will fit: Mask, Fins, Snorkel, (XL) BCD, Regulator (Pressure,Depth,Computer, Compass, Octo.), Boots, Gloves, 5mm Full WetSuit (XL) - Misc Small Dive Insundries - 2nd Dive Computer - 3 T-Shirts - 3 Pairs of Shorts -1 Swim Suit 1 Pair of Jeans - Large Beach Towel - Small Flashlight 1 XL Sweatshirt - 4 Pair Of Socks - 4 Pair of Mens Underwear - Hanging Men’s Bath Bag - Heavy Sandals - Passport - Playing Cards - Book - Tylenol - iPOD Journal - North Face Fleece Coat - Small Digital Camera

i actually like the dive caddy except that i find it a bit too pricey
also im not sure if it will fit my seaquest pro qd+ L bcd

rickyd-but when u have ur regs in the backpack is it a normal one and do u protect them some way?
My backpack is actually a laptop backpack, not huge, but not tiny. Regs are first stored inside a padded reg bag - came with my giant cold water wheel about dive bag.

Pelicans are heavy and will eat up a good chunk of your weight allowance even as checked bags. And they're way overkill for most dive gear. (Might be nice for checking camera gear if you're forced to, but still going to chew up the weight allowance and there are lighter solutions.)

In the US it may be barely possible to get all your gear in a carryon, though I personally don't think it makes sense to try. Airlines in other countries often have smaller weight and size restrictions for carryons, in which case it isn't going to happen. If you do any travel on a small plane, it's not going to happen either.

I don't know about the DiveCaddy for non-US carriers. Not sure it's something I'd want to check. And again while you might be able to carry it on a US airline, it's going to be too big and heavy for lots of airlines in other places or small planes.

Using a reg bag as a carryon, that is only big enough to fit the reg, is a waste of a carryon allowance. Regs will do fine in any of your normal carryons since you're handling them. Reg bags don't hurt if they fit, but some will take up alot of space in your carryon. Pack carefully, use some clothes as padding as seems needed, and you don't need one.

There's no particular reason to segregate all your dive gear in one bag and your other stuff in another for travel, it makes sense to divide and conquer. Carryon items like reg/computer/mask, check bulky stuff like wetsuit, BC, fins. I believe the majority of people wind up doing something like this sooner or later, within the restrictions in their area. Like probably the regs get checked if you're allowed 7 pounds carryon or whatever.

Hard sided bags provide protection and are certainly fine to use if you have one. But if buying something new, I've found rolling duffles work better for checking dive gear. Less weight to start, more forgiving. And they're a better idea if you ever go on a liveaboard. Again, pack carefully. Your fins, wetsuit, and clothes can protect your BC and other items. I've traveled this way for dozens of dive trips and have never had anything damaged.

My wife and I bought and used the MEI voyageur back packs last month. They carried all our gear including my 3mm and her 5mm full suites and our long Apollo bio fins. They measure the FAA limit 22 × 14 × 9 inches and are light weight. I recommend the backpacks instead of roller because they are lighter and have more room,(without the wheel weight/mechanisms). Plus they keep my hands free for our other luggage. Last years vacation required setting up a train with all our wheeled luggage. This year we used the backpacks and moved through the airport and the plane easier.

Google MEI voyageur for many write ups and recommendations.
The MEI Voyageur Back-Pack - First choice of the seasoned world traveler

Carry on suggestion: If you carry on lots of gear, use a bag(s) in a backpack for your dive gear. Its makes going through security easy and avoids digging through tons of stuff throughout the trip.

I normally carry a small backpack with computer, headphones, 2 sets of regs, dive computers, compass, mask, lights, cameras, medications, DVD's, etc... etc... These items are high value to me and I am usually close to maxed out on check weight anyway.

At first, I just stuffed everything in as neat as possible. Every time I hit security, I had to unload everything since they cannot ID everything in a jumble on the XRAY machine. The backpack is soon a total mess, everythng tangled.

Now, I have a few thin nylon bags or packing cubes. One for regs, one for other dive gear. Both slide into the backpack along with the computer. When I hit security, I slide out the computer and the 2 other bags. They get XRAYed and 90% of the time no additional inspection. Then they slide back in, nice and neat.

I've used an Oceanic AT4 pak for several years now and all my warm water gear will fit in it. Of course having a BPW that folds flat helps alot. I would not even try to travel with my Probe or any other jacket type bc now. My normal load is BPW, reg, comps, fins(Hollis F1's fastened to the outside), a couple lights, prescription mask, snorkel, and 3 mil suit. I still have room for my logbook, 2 tshirts, a pair of shorts, 2 bathing suits and my razor and toothbrush. The only thing I I don;t care for is the frame is bit heavy and the handle doesn't lock in the up position. I like the look of the voyager bag but would not buy one without actually seeing it in person.

A point to note if you’re checking in luggage is that many of the travel accessories that are sold as luggage security items (locks, cable ties, security seals, etc) do not actually work to protect your luggage. You’d think for the money spent on these things it would take time to break into a bag, but it’s as simple as several seconds with a paperclip or even a pen. And people wonder why there is a problem with luggage theft.

one suggestion that may look a bit odd, but is pretty practical and seize/weight effective:

when trying to size & weight optimize my luggage, I soon discovered that my BP with harness is by far the most difficult item: quite large and bulky due to the stiff webbing, it's almost as much volume as all my other (warm water) dive gear combined.

==> why not use it as part of the luggage?

So I went ahead and used a simple duffle bag to hold all my luggage but the BP, and used the BP (minus crotch strap) to carry it on my back. Looks a bit, mmh, "special" and nothing for checked luggage. But quite effective as the duffel bag adds less than 2 pounds weight.

Btw,I did not use the cam bands to hold the bag. Instead, I used them to pre-compress the bag, and used 2 slightly longer bands with ratchet locks that I threaded from "the wrong side" through the cam band slots, around the edges of the plate, and then around the bag. This way the bag is held tight and doesn't "bounce".

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom