Dive caddy - airline carry on solution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redball

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The question that I see being asked over and over is what to do when it comes time to travel on the airplane and how do we get our gear to our destination safely. I recently traveled to Maui to complete my Divemaster course and I had planned to take everything including equipment that I may or may not need. I began packing for my trip a full week before my departure date as I knew I was going to be heavy on the first go. I had planned a 2 week stay so I planned to have a weeks worth of clothing and would have to do laundry once during my stay.

The first go around the checked bag was at 57 lbs so of course overweight charges would apply. I also had a carryon bag from Akona which I had placed my Sealife Camera w/ Strobe, Regulator, Dive Computer and Mask (in the plastic box). With all of this it only left enough room for 2 t-shirts (rolled up) and 1 pair of lightweight shorts. I still needed some extra clothing, underwear and a minimum of 1 more pair of shorts so the current set up was not going to work.

My main bag was overweight with dive gear, the carry on wasn't going to be enough so I was left with the task of an alternate solution. I weighed my main bag to find out it was 11.5 lbs. That gave me a place to start and if I could find a larger wheeled dive bag that was lighter weight I was determined to buy one. I headed off to the local dive shop to check my options. Once I arrived at the dive shop I began to look at all the different bags and weights of each of them. None of the bags where under the 11.5lbs mark. I then was directed to the DIVE CADDY as an option and was told that this system would carry my needed dive gear onboard the airplane as carry on luggage. I thought to myself instant problem solver. I bought the bag and headed home to review the videos on DiveCaddy - Home to show how to pack and stow the gear in order to take it as a carry-on.

If you are thinking right now there is no way to carry on a full set of dive gear you are in for a treat. Below is a list of everything that went into the dive caddy and traveled all the way to Maui with me safely stored in the overhead compartment.

(1- 3mm O'neil Shorty, 2 pr-1.5mm Neo Shorts,5 T-Shirts, 2pr-Casual Shorts, 2pr-swim trunks, Sealife DC800 camera, XL Oceanic V16 Open Heal Fins, Dive Mask w/ Plastic Box, Snorkel, LG-SeaQuest Latitude XLT, Regulator, Dive Computer, 1pr-5mm Dive Boots, 1pr-Gloves, 1 2mm Beanie, iPod and Charger, Cell Phone & Charger, Sony PSP w/charger, Surface Marker Sausage w/ finger reel, Backup Light, Small Headlamp, and my logbook case)
All this went into the dive caddy nice and neat just like they showed on the video. I used the Turtle pack and spider pack of course.

The extra bonus was on the return flight. The airline was checking all the wheeled carry-on bags with the measuring tape and and if it was an inch over it had to be gate checked. They didn't even question me as I am sure it was because it was a backpack in their mind so there was no need to measure it. It made me even more of a believer at that point that the Dive Caddy is the ultimate in Dive Travel Luggage.

Because of the Dive Caddy I was able to get my checked bag in under 40lbs which gave me some room to bring home goodies for family and friends.

I also noticed that once I returned home I found I had a seam that popped. I called Dive Caddy and was told they would repair or replace the item for me no questions asked now that's what I call Customer Service. They stand behind the product 100%.

IMHO you can pack everything you would need for a 4 night 5 day dive trip in one Dive Caddy and not have to even worry about checking a bag unless of course you have to have that dive knife with you and full size shampoo and soap bottles.

If you're on the fence about the Dive Caddy I'll give you this challenge. Pack your wet suit, BCD, Mask, Fins, Snorkel, Booties, and Regulator along with extra clothing into a standard carry-on bag if you find one that works let me know but I know from first hand experience if it looks even remotely oversized the airline is going to check it.

I am sure that during future travels my Dive Caddy is going to be going with me regardless of travel by Plane, Train, Auto or Boat. Kudo's to the team at Dive Caddy.

That thing is a total abuse of the system. If I'm on a flight and see one of those and there is no room for my carry on, I will be first in line to complain.

My wife and I have traveled a lot, and to remote places. We bring dSLR camera gear, tons of dive gear and computers. We have NO problem fitting all our gear into 1 checked bag, 1 airline size compliant roller bag, and 1 backpack per person. We carry on all camera gear, regulators, and computers. Items that are fragile and can not be checked, the way it should be. There is no reason to carry on fins, BC, wet suit, 3 days of cloths, and all the other stuff that can be kicked, dropped, crushed, sat on, rained on, with no damage. Oh, and we travel with stainless BP/W and still stay under weight.

In addition, that thing is a total waste of overhead space. I watched there videos, it will only fit in the compartment facing for and aft. By there dimensions it does not comply with airline regulations. They even have comments on how to work the system to not get caught. If you noticed, the size restrictions are to allow a bag to fit in the overhead depth wise so 3 bags can fit side by side.

I like the overall idea and design for getting through TSA, but airline size restrictions are there for a reason. Make it fit within the size restrictions. Divers have enough problems with airlines, we don't need everyone to be sneeking on oversized carry ons. Airlines are not stupid.

And $240!! Dam dude, thats a flight to FL and back.

I will agree with the side to side and not front to back, however if you remove the turtle pack from the top it will fit front to back. I fly alot to for business purposes so I understand the issue you have. Now I am not trying to start anything but if I was on the same plane as you and a guy with a guitar case was getting on would you say something to both of us or just those with a Dive Caddy. You see I have been on flights with Guitar cases and I didn't make a big deal of it. In addition being in Colorado you should see the stuff that gets on as carryon once ski season hits. Expedition size backpacks are being carried on every day all of which take up a little more space than usual. I respect your thoughts on the subject. In closing should it comedown to space issue and needing room I would and can gate check my Dive Caddy and pick it back up as I exit the plane. I am still assured that my gear will arrive at my destination in that case. If you have ever had your luggage lost by the airline you will understand. As for the price of the system go look at what other dive bags are selling for. Also figure up what your gear is worth and 240 doesn't seem to bad to know it's with you the whole time. It is also worth noting that the airlines tossed my bag around and droped it on something busting my $125 dive mask so lesson learned no more dive mask in checked bags.

Yeah, the guy with guitar also torques me up as well. But I do understand how fragile a guitar is.
You can drive over most fins with a car and not have a problem. If you pack your bags right you should not have any breakage issues. Having a steel backplate that you can put on the top of the bag helps :wink:

There is starting to be a trend of many people using way over sized carry on's for stuff that just don't need to be carried on. Save the space for people that have really fragile stuff, and the poor business man that is staying one night and does not have a checked bag at all.

I have not had the airlines loose my bags yet, knock on wood. However I do plan for them getting lost. I carry on enough for a day or two of cloths, my regs, and some other needs. The rest can be bought at the destination and I can rent a BC, wetsuit, and fins. If my bag falls into the great black hole never to be seen again, its all full replacement insured and I get some new gear out of it.

All I can say is that the DiveCaddy works. I have seen lots of people packing every thing but the kitchen sink into over heads. I been on flights where there was no room at my forward seat only to find that the people at the back of the plane filled up the front overheads. Why shouldn't I fill my space with my dive equipment so that I know it will arrive at my destination. I have been on several trips where peoples dive gear did not arrive. When the plane is crowded, I can remove the turtle pack turn the bag wing to wing and still have room for my laptop/Ipod shoulder bag.

In fact I like the bag so much, I am sell them. www.aquatictraveladventures.com/index.shtml

Last edited:
Aside from the courtesy dispute, airlines have caused this contention.

$25 for the first bag checked? And a reduced weight limit? (used to be 70lbs., which was adequate for dive gear) They've forced everyone to try getting as much on-board the passenger compartment as possible.

I simply love my Dive Caddy! You can even use it for regular non dive trips. Just pack your cloths and compress. Ingenious

My wife and I bought and used the MEI voyageur back packs last month. They carried all our gear including my 3mm and her 5mm full suites and our long Apollo bio fins. They measure the FAA limit 22 × 14 × 9 inches and are light weight. I recommend the backpacks instead of roller because they are lighter and have more room,(without the wheel weight/mechanisms). Plus they keep my hands free for our other luggage. Last years vacation required setting up a train with all our wheeled luggage. This year we used the backpacks and moved through the airport and the plane easier.

Google MEI voyageur for many write ups and recommendations.
The MEI Voyageur Back-Pack - First choice of the seasoned world traveler

That thing is a total abuse of the system. If I'm on a flight and see one of those and there is no room for my carry on, I will be first in line to complain.

My wife and I have traveled a lot, and to remote places. We bring dSLR camera gear, tons of dive gear and computers. We have NO problem fitting all our gear into 1 checked bag, 1 airline size compliant roller bag, and 1 backpack per person.

If it can fit wing to wing by removing the small top bag it shouldn't be an issue. I have seen plenty of people abuse the system too, especially by carrying on 2-3 carryons. If I had one, I would just seperate the pieces and put part of it under the seat. Most airlines allow for 1 carryon, and one personal item (small personal article such as a briefcase, purse, day planner, etc), and carrying on one roller bag and one backpack per person also violates most airlines definition of allowed carryons. Unfortunately I have had 2 lost bags, one severly damaged bag, and 2 bags on this last trip that had the TSA locks cut off and appear to have been rooted through by baggage handlers.
I am seriously considering a bag like this just to cut down on the possibility of theft. It is only 14 inches wide, so front to back it doesn't take up any more room than a standard backpack.

My backpack fits nicely under the seat according to FAA and airline standards. My roller bag is to FAA and airline dimensions.

The width and height of the dive caddy is not the issue, its the length. Its to long to fit in the overhead depth wise, so it needs to fit sideways.

Sorry to hear so many stories of damaged, stolen, and permanently lost bags. Guess myself and family are just lucky? I will knock on wood just in case. But like I said in the past, everything in my bag is documented and insured with its own rider. If the air monkeys destroy, break, or loose it, I get new stuff. Yeah, I will be pissed for that trip, but I get new stuff.

Use TSA approved locks and they wont get cut off. Locks only keep honest people honest and scream "hey I have valuables in this bag".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom