Rear inflate BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gdk

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am in the market for a new BC and like the rear inflation models because they are less "busy" in the front. Is their any drawbacks to the rear inflation? If you became unconscious on the surface would this type BC keep your face out of the water? Thanks to all.

GDK

I am in the market for a new BC and like the rear inflation models because they are less "busy" in the front. Is their any drawbacks to the rear inflation? If you became unconscience on the surface would this type BC keep your face out of the water? Thanks to all.

GDK

No, it will not keep an unconscious diver floating upright. Then again, no BCD should be expected to do that.

If weighted properly and not over-inflated it is no better and no worse than any other jacket BC. If it is over-inflated it may tend to make you face down particularily if the rear trim pockets are not used.
A BC is designed to keep your head out of the water. Standard jacket style BCs can get a diver a bit higher while still keeping the diver vertical. However even with a standard jacket style BC there is no guarantee that a unconscious diver will be face up on the surface. That is why no BC is rated as a life saving device.

I am in the market for a new BC and like the rear inflation models because they are less "busy" in the front. Is their any drawbacks to the rear inflation? If you became unconscious on the surface would this type BC keep your face out of the water? Thanks to all.

GDK

It's a "buoyancy compensation device" not a "life saving device."

You could just as easily go face-down in the water in a jacket style.

My Zeagle Scout is a back-inflate BC. I bought it rather than a BP/w as is it is very small, light, and flexible enough to take as carry-on luggage. I like it and I would buy another one without hesitation.

I chose a back-inflate BC mainly for the same reasons people choose BP/w - good trim in the water, less bulky, etc.. I found that some BCs which inflate on the sides as well constricted me too much.

The Scout will not maintain me floating face-up or upright if I am unconscious.

My Scout generates only 25 lbs lift, which is a bit on the low side if you are diving in very cold water with a 7mm wetsuit - don't get me wrong, it still works at depth to keep you neutrally buoyant, but you need to make sure that you are not over-weighted. It is fine for thinner suits and drysuits.

GDK

Generally no. Specifically, hard to say unless you specify the model.

I doubt that any BC will keep your face out of water if unconscious. To do that it would have to turn you onto your back, which is not something you want when diving.

Adam

I doubt that any BC will keep your face out of water if unconscious. To do that it would have to turn you onto your back, which is not something you want when diving.

Adam

Unless of course your on a surface swim.

I find that my back inflate is quite comfy while floating on my back in a happily reclined position. I'd hope my buddy would take care of me it I was unconscious!

Another vote for the Zeagle Scout. I love mine as does my wife. I'll never go back to a vest sytle and only Back inflate for me.

I only do warm water diving so i could not tell you cold water performance.

As for being face down, that is what budding diving is for! Your buddy should keep you a live not your BC

You can always shift more weight into rear weight pockets Zeagle Rear Weight Pockets reviews and discounts, Zeagle

By getting more weight behind and low, it will change your surface attitude - but as others have pointed out, make sure you set yourself up for a good swimming attitude, not just a surface position, as that is what will give you the best air consumption, comfort, etc.

Back
Top Bottom