Couple quick backplate questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tbone1004

Mr Speed Nuts
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Greenville, South Carolina, United States
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm looking for a new backplate. I have a Transpac, but after doing my training dives with Halcyon plates, the plates just feel better. Here's the dilemma. I don't think the Halcyon plate is wide enough. It pinched my shoulders, and just isn't all that comfortable even with the pad on there and a wetsuit.
I'm 6'4" with a 52" chest. Main problem here is the 36" waist, so normal BC's are way out of the question, and I already have a nice wing, and harness, so a plate just makes sense.
I dive mainly singles, so if there is a plate that will hold a single HP120 without a STA that would be fantastic, and if there are any backplates that are more "comfortable" for the bigger guys than others, that would be great.
My LDS has a DiveRite SS plate for $90, but they don't have a pool on location so I wouldn't be able to test it before buying.

I'm 6'4" with a 52" chest.

I'd suggest a Long Pattern Plate https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=115

The DSS long Pattern Plate is 2+ inches taller than most "one size" plates and is also wider.

I dive mainly singles, so if there is a plate that will hold a single HP120 without a STA that would be fantastic,

It's not the plate that allows "direct mounting" i.e. without a STA, it's the wing.

With a DSS wing on a DSS plate there's no need for a STA. When you mix and match wings and plates from different makers often a STA is required.

Tobin

I'm looking for a new backplate. I have a Transpac, but after doing my training dives with Halcyon plates, the plates just feel better. Here's the dilemma. I don't think the Halcyon plate is wide enough. It pinched my shoulders, and just isn't all that comfortable even with the pad on there and a wetsuit.
I'm 6'4" with a 52" chest. Main problem here is the 36" waist, so normal BC's are way out of the question, and I already have a nice wing, and harness, so a plate just makes sense.
I dive mainly singles, so if there is a plate that will hold a single HP120 without a STA that would be fantastic, and if there are any backplates that are more "comfortable" for the bigger guys than others, that would be great.
My LDS has a DiveRite SS plate for $90, but they don't have a pool on location so I wouldn't be able to test it before buying.
Well, since it's OK for Tobin to pimp his stuff, so will I.

I'm 6'4" also with a 34" waist and a 48" chest. With a plate, the chest measurement really doesn't mean much because the shoulder straps are fully adjustable and they mostly bypass the chest by going over the shoulders and right down under the arm along your side. This is why Back plates with a Hog style harnesses work so well for guys that work out a lot and also well endowed women.
Almost every conventional plate out there is going to rub on your shoulder blades because of the width and the shape at the top. This is right where your shoulder blades need to move under your skin to do their thing. If you look at a Freedom Plate the top area is narrow allowing for the surface of the plate to drop right into the valley IN BETWEEN your shoulder blades thus giving you full "Freedom" of movement and allowing the tank to sit closer to your body than any other backplate currently made. Each and every plate is hand shaped to fit the human body not a rain barrel.

The Freedom Plate can accomodate virtually any brand wing that has built in slots
starting with:

Oxycheq
DSS
OMS
Diverite

Who did I leave out?

Freedom plates also can be used wonderfully alone as a backpack without any wing for ultra minimalist diving and vintage/eclectic diving. If you look at my avatar you will see me using my Freedom Plate without the wing. Notice how nice the shoulder straps follow the contours of the back and up and over the shoulders.

Eric

Well, since it's OK for Tobin to pimp his stuff, so will I.

I'm 6'4" also with a 34" waist and a 48" chest. With a plate, the chest measurement really doesn't mean much because the shoulder straps are fully adjustable and they mostly bypass the chest by going over the shoulders and right down under the arm along your side. This is why Back plates with a Hog style harnesses work so well for guys that work out a lot and also well endowed women.
Almost every conventional plate out there is going to rub on your shoulder blades because of the width and the shape at the top. This is right where your shoulder blades need to move under your skin to do their thing. If you look at a Freedom Plate the top area is narrow allowing for the surface of the plate to drop right into the valley IN BETWEEN your shoulder blades thus giving you full "Freedom" of movement and allowing the tank to sit closer to your body than any other backplate currently made. Each and every plate is hand shaped to fit the human body not a rain barrel.

The Freedom Plate can accomodate virtually any brand wing that has built in slots
starting with:

Oxycheq
DSS
OMS
Diverite

Who did I leave out?

Freedom plates also can be used wonderfully alone as a backpack without any wing for ultra minimalist diving and vintage/eclectic diving. If you look at my avatar you will see me using my Freedom Plate without the wing. Notice how nice the shoulder straps follow the contours of the back and up and over the shoulders.

Eric

LOL. Eric you just sold me! I was hunting around for a backpack, but your plate makes much more since. Probably not this run, but perhaps your next.

Will a DSS wing with integrated STA work on a Freedom plate?

Ok, so couple of questions for you then.

How negatively buoyant is your plate? I regularly dive with a 7mm farmer john, and any weight that I can get off of my belt the better. That was one of the things that intrigued me with the DSS plate with the plate mountable weights.

Also, I already have a DiveRite transplate harness setup. Not a hog harness. As often as I'm diving a 7mm in the winter, I dive either bareback or with a rashguard, hence the desire for shoulder pads.

Other thing is cost. I'm still in college, and with a recent but necessary tank purchase, as well as a new regulator setup, I'd rather not spent over twice as much for the DSS plate as I would with the DiveRite plate. I have a Rec Wing so I don't think the STA is necessary with it. *Eric, how much do yours cost?*

The DSS plates look sick though, just the $240 is probably going to be the only deterrent with them.

How negatively buoyant is your plate? I regularly dive with a 7mm farmer john, and any weight that I can get off of my belt the better. That was one of the things that intrigued me with the DSS plate with the plate mountable weights.

A LP SS plate and harness is about -8 lbs, the weight plates for the Long Pattern plate add another 9.8 lbs. LP plate and harness and weight plates total about -18 lbs.

I should note that without knowing more about your configuration the weight plates may or may not be a good idea.

Also, I already have a DiveRite transplate harness setup. Not a hog harness. As often as I'm diving a 7mm in the winter, I dive either bareback or with a rashguard, hence the desire for shoulder pads.

A properly fit plate and harness doesn't really need pads, even in a T-shirt. This is particularly true with single tanks and very little ballast.

If you are diving singles you I would expect you to be much happier with a dedicated singles wing of appropriate shape and capacity.

The DSS plates look sick though, just the $240 is probably going to be the only deterrent with them.

Buying gear twice seldom saves many $$.

Tobin

Last edited:
Just a note, I am 6'5" 330 and dive a golem gear plate and wing works great.

LOL. Eric you just sold me! I was hunting around for a backpack, but your plate makes much more since. Probably not this run, but perhaps your next.

Will a DSS wing with integrated STA work on a Freedom plate?

No hurry.
I plan to have plates on hand from here on out.
And yes, the DSS plate with the rubber tank stabilizer will work, although when I looked at the stabilizing rubber block it looked as though it may get in the way by hanging over each side of the rail causing the tank to teeter totter or "high center" on the rail. It would keep the tank from evenly contacting the rail with the wing sandwiched evenly in between. With conventional plates I know the manufacturers have to think of these problems if the plate is going to used without a STA because of that darn channel hump. My suggestion if you do decide to make the Freedom Plate your primary single tank plate is to cut the thing off on each side where it attaches to the wing. But if you do this, keep in mind you can't go back, you'll be living with it.
It's possible you'll be voiding any warranty and if you ever decide you want to use it on a conventional plate again you will need a STA. I just want to be clear on that.
One thing I really like about the DSS wing is the way Tobin has the open rectangular holes where the cam bands go so you dont have to unthread the buckles every time you want to take the wing off, pure genius!

The Freedom Plate does not require any sort of stabilizing gizmo simply because of the nature of the design with the rail and even when used without the rail. The rail is somewhat like a STA except it's not, it's actually part of the plate and nothing is supposed to go between the two components when it's installed. The plate can be used without the rail also but this will allow the tank to sit literally right on your back with nothing but an 1/8" of stainless and the thickness of the wing material in between you and the tank. Some divers prefer this for ultra streamlining, but having the tank that close to your body takes a little getting used to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Other thing is cost. I'm still in college, and with a recent but necessary tank purchase, as well as a new regulator setup, I'd rather not spent over twice as much for the DSS plate as I would with the DiveRite plate. I have a Rec Wing so I don't think the STA is necessary with it. *Eric, how much do yours cost?*

The Freedom Plate w/rail costs $150 plus shipping.
The weight of the plate with rail - 4 lbs. 2 oz.
Without the rail - 3 lbs. 2oz. (think travel)
The rail can be filled with lead for an additional 3 lbs. total now - 7 lbs. 2oz
If you need more, any size weight can be threaded onto the waist strap on each side and placed clear to the back by the plate and out of the way. I recommend 2 lbs on each side for a total now of - 11 lbs 2oz.
Using a steel tank adds even more.
If your Diverite wing has slots or open areas in the center area for cam bands to go through it will work with the Freedom Plate and you do not need a STA (with my plate there is no such thing as a STA).

I dive in Northern California in 48 to 53 degree water and I use a 7mm two piece suit.
I also use a 6.5 mm sock and then stuff my feet into a 7mm high tide ranger booty.
I was out yesterday and I used one of my new plates with no additional weight attached, just the plate w/rail, a steel 72, and 25 lb. weight belt. I was weighted perfectly. Keep in mind my suit is super dense commercial grade material so it is probably more buoyant than off the rack LDS suits.

I also have a 1/2" commercial wetsuit and you don't want to know what I have to go through when I use that thing!

Eric

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom