Suunto Cobra, is it a good choice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bibu6666

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,
Do you think that a Suunto Cobra computer wold be a good choice for a beginner who will perform only open water dives?
Thank you :)

Of course it depends on your budget etc, but I'd say yes. Its a nice very conservative computer and it also does Nitrox. While you probably don't use Nitrox yet, you will likely try it in the future. I've had mine for 4 years, no problems and passed it to my wife now that she is also certified.

As stated, fairly conservative. I've been diving with mine since 2002. Over 163 dives and still going strong.

Regards,
Dave (aka "Squirt")

26 days till I'm back in Coz.

I love my Cobra 3! I am very happy with it and dont see what the big deal about how conservative it is. Just got nixtrox certified and cant wait to use it for that!

As stated, fairly conservative. I've been diving with mine since 2002. Over 163 dives and still going strong.

Regards,
Dave (aka "Squirt")

26 days till I'm back in Coz.

I'm on my second, first an Eon, then upgraded to a Cobra, and passed the Eon on to my wife, who subsequently has gone on to an Aeris Atmos. Close to 200 dives on the Cobra, and only thing I've done is changed the battery. It's a lot more conservative than the Aeris, but it just makes you be a little more attentive to dive profiles (especially on the second dive of a two-tanker).

It's a good computer.

I'm not a fan of consoles (actually I hate them), but my wife has one and she's happy with it. It's easy for me to read as well, and she's been diving it for 5 years without trouble so far.

A bit on the conservative side - that can be a good thing or a bad one depending how you dive.

The Cobra is a great computer. On a square dive profile it is more conservative than the PADI RDP. We have been diving with three of them, wife and son, for years and never a problem. One of the most solid AI computers on the market today.

Agree also... great, reliable computer. I've had mine about 7 yrs and got it second hand. Two battery changes, and no problems other than it has a tendency to stay in AC - water activated - mode if even an invisible film builds up over the download contacts. Usually after I rinse it, I blow on it until I see it go off. If it is persistent, I will tooth brush it a little and it has always been fine. (none of my friends with Cobras seem to have an issue, so it could be the tap water quality at our place)

Of course it depends on your budget etc, but I'd say yes. Its a nice very conservative computer and it also does Nitrox. While you probably don't use Nitrox yet, you will likely try it in the future. I've had mine for 4 years, no problems and passed it to my wife now that she is also certified.

when you say its a "very conservative computer" what do you mean? Thanks

To say a dive computer is conservative is to say it would indicate you are reaching your Non-Deco limit sooner. In reverse, a more liberal compter would give longer limits for the same dive profile.

A recent magazine review of major dive computer brands indicated that Suunto varies little from other major brands. Most computers can be set more conservative (higher safety factor) but the question normally refers to the standard setting.

I have dived with many diver with differing brands of computer and have never seen a difference for my typical tropical dive profiles of 60-100fsw. Moreover, I have seen great differences in the same computer being worn by various divers swimming the seemingly same profile -- one with normal 3 minute safety stop while another has a 7 minute "mandatory" stop. Why? Most likely due to some rate of rise violation at some point during the dive.

I started with a Cobra (original) during my first few dives and still dive it today after several years and 100+ dives. I find it easy to understand and a fine instrument.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom